To search for quotations, enter a phrase to search for in the quotation, a whole or partial
author name, or both. Also specify the collections to search in below. See the
Search Instructions for details.
- Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts.
- Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC)
- Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy those are who already possess it.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)
- It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
- Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested: that is, some books are to be read only in parts, others to be read, but not curiously, and some few to be read wholly, and with diligence and attention.
- Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)
- Let us have a care not to disclose our hearts to those who shut up theirs against us.
- Francis Beaumont (1584 - 1616)
- Brains, like hearts, go where they are appreciated.
- Robert S. McNamara (1916 - ), former U.S. Secretary of Defense
- You can't deny laughter; when it comes, it plops down in your favorite chair and stays as long as it wants.
- Stephen King (1947 - ), "Hearts in Atlantis"
- All the arts we practice are apprenticeship. The big art is our life.
- M. C. Richards
- My future starts when I wake up every morning... Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
- Miles Davis (1926 - 1991)
- I have witnessed the softening of the hardest of hearts by a simple smile.
- Goldie Hawn (1945 - )
Can't find what you're looking for? Try browsing our list of quotations by subject..