Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
To search for quotations, enter a phrase to search for in the quotation, a whole or partial
author name, or both. Also specify the collections to search in below. See the
Search Instructions for details.
- Beware the pull on your heartstrings -- it's often the pursestrings that are actually being reached for.
- Barbara Mikkelson, snopes.com, May 15, 2001
- After you've been in a place for a while, everything starts to look... I won't say better, there's no need to go to extremes...but your everyday life does start to become...familiar.
- David Assael, Northern Exposure, Russian Flu, 1990
- We all carry around so much pain in our hearts. Love and pain and beauty. They all seem to go together like one little tidy confusing package. It's a messy business, life. It's hard to figure--full of surprises. Some good. Some bad.
- Henry Bromel, Northern Exposure, The Big Kiss, 1991
- If we have the opportunity to be generous with our hearts, ourselves, we have no idea of the depth and breadth of love's reach.
- Margaret Cho, weblog, 03-09-04
- The arts must be considered an essential element of education... They are tools for living life reflectively, joyfully and with the ability to shape the future.
- Shirley Trusty Corey
- So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'
- Steve Jobs (1955 - 2011)
- It is not much for its beauty that makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanates from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit.
- Robert Louis Stevenson (1850 - 1894)
- There is only one way to win hearts and that is to make oneself like unto those of whom one would be loved.
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965), The Painted Veil, 1925
- There's new energy to harness, new jobs to be created, new schools to build, and threats to meet, alliances to repair.
The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even in one term. But, America, I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there. I promise you, we as a people will get there.
There will be setbacks and false starts. There are many who won't agree with every decision or policy I make as president. And we know the government can't solve every problem.
But I will always be honest with you about the challenges we face. I will listen to you, especially when we disagree. And, above all, I will ask you to join in the work of remaking this nation, the only way it's been done in America for 221 years — block by block, brick by brick, calloused hand by calloused hand.
- Barack Obama (1961 - ), Election Night Speech in Chicago, 11-04-08
- Life was mostly made up of things you couldn't control, full of surprises, and they weren't always good. Life wasn't what you made it. You were what life made you.
- Sara Zarr, Sweehearts, 2008
Can't find what you're looking for? Try browsing our list of quotations by subject..