Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- Waste no more time talking about great souls and how they should be. Become one yourself!
- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (121 AD - 180 AD)
- To see the earth as it truly is, small and blue and beautiful in that eternal silence where it floats, is to see ourselves as riders on the earth together, brothers on that bright loveliness in the eternal cold.
- Archibald MacLeish (1892 - 1982)
- The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), "The Devil's Disciple" (1901), act II
- I am going to concentrate on what's important in life. I'm going to strive everyday to be a kind and generous and loving person. I'm going to keep death right here, so that anytime I even think about getting angry at you or anybody else, I'll see death and I'll remember.
- Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, Do The Right Thing, 1992
- Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
- Steve Jobs (1955 - 2011)
- She is a friend of my mind... The pieces I am, she gather them and give them back to me in all the right order.
- Toni Morrison (1931 - )
- One cannot find peace in work or in pleasure, in the world or in a convent, but only in one's soul.
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965), The Painted Veil, 1925
- The vitality of thought is in adventure. Ideas won't keep. Something must be done about them.
- Alfred North Whitehead (1861 - 1947)
- The real hero is always a hero by mistake; he dreams of being an honest coward like everybody else.
- Umberto Eco (1932 - ), Travels in Hyperreality (Harcourt)
- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary.
- Peter Minard
- An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do.
- Dylan Thomas (1914 - 1953), in Constantine Fitzgibbon, Life of Dylan Thomas (1965)
- One of the first duties of the physician is to educate the masses not to take medicine.
- Sir William Osler (1849 - 1919), Aphorisms from his Bedside Teachings (1961) p. 105
- The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.
- Art Spander
- If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
- Professor Irwin Corey (1914 - )
- There is a coherent plan in the universe, though I don't know what it's a plan for.
- Fred Hoyle (1915 - 2001)
- Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you.
- Henri-Frédéric Amiel
- Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves.
- Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996), Cosmos (Blues for a Red Planet)
- Every good product I've ever seen is because a group of people cared deeply about making something wonderful that they and their friends wanted. They wanted to use it themselves.
- Steve Jobs (1955 - 2011), Apple WWDC Closing Keynote, 1997
- Even on the highest throne in the world, we are still sitting on our ass.
- Michel de Montaigne (1533 - 1592), 'De l'experience,' 1580-88
- Human pain does not let go of its grip at one point in time. Rather, it works its way out of our consciousness over time. There is a season of sadness. A season of anger. A season of tranquility. A season of hope.
- Robert Veninga