Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- Could we change our attitude, we should not only see life differently, but life itself would come to be different. Life would undergo a change of appearance because we ourselves had undergone a change in attitude.
- Katherine Mansfield (1888 - 1923)
- It isn't kind to cultivate a friendship just so one will have an audience.
- Lawana Blackwell, The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter, 1998
- Do not wait for the last judgment. It takes place every day.
- Albert Camus (1913 - 1960)
- You should not live one way in private, another in public.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
- People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
- A certain amount of opposition is a great help to a man; it is what he wants and must have to be good for anything. Hardship and opposition are the native soil of manhood and self-reliance.
- John Neal
- Remember that happiness is a way of travel - not a destination.
- Roy M. Goodman
- The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but significance - and then even the small steps and little victories along your path will take on greater meaning.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine, September 2002
- We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
- Desire creates the power.
- Raymond Holliwell
- Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best.
- Henry Van Dyke
- Behind weight gain are the larger hurts and questions that have to be explored, probed, and understood before weight loss and maintenance is a possibility. It's a bigger issue than just calories in, calories out.
- Ali Vincent, Believe It, Be It: How Being the Biggest Loser Won Me Back My Life, 2009
- Knowing their feelings as she did, it was a most attractive picture of happiness to her. She always watched them as long as she could, delighted to fancy she understood what they might be talking of, as they walked along in happy independence, or equally delighted to see the Admiral's hearty shake of the hand when he encountered an old friend, and observe their eagerness of conversation when occasionally forming into a little knot of the navy, Mrs Croft looking as intelligent and keen as any of the officers around her.
- Jane Austen (1775 - 1817), Persuasion, 1818
- You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist.
- Indira Gandhi (1917 - 1984), quoted by Christian Science Monitor, May 17, 1982
- That was the worst part about having cancer, sometimes: The physical evidence of disease separates you from other people.
- John Green, The Fault in Our Stars, 2012
- Just a word of advice. Whenever you're furious with your parents or you think they're terrible, just remember, you vomited on them and they kept you.
- John Green, Vlogbrothers, The Five Worst Places to Vomit, 09-04-12
- To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the last product of civilization, and at present very few people have reached this level.
- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970), Conquest of Happiness (1930) ch. 14
- In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different.
- Coco Chanel (1883 - 1971)
- Times have not become more violent. They have just become more televised.
- Marilyn Manson (1969 - ), I Don't Like The Media But The Media Likes Me - Columbine statement
- Concentration comes out of a combination of confidence and hunger.
- Arnold Palmer (1929 - )