Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- He can make me love something just by showing me the energy with which he loves it.
- Heather Armstrong, Dooce Plugs In, 07-12-06
- Keep five yards from a carriage, ten yards from a horse, and a hundred yards from an elephant; but the distance one should keep from a wicked man cannot be measured.
- Indian Proverb
- Do not bite at the bait of pleasure till you know there is no hook beneath it.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
- There is no remedy for love but to love more.
- Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862), Journal, July 25, 1839
- There's such a difference between saying a thing yourself and hearing other people say it. You may know a thing is so, but you can't help hoping other people don't quite think it is.
- L. M. Montgomery (1874 - 1942), Anne of Green Gables, 1908
- Forgiveness is almost a selfish act because of its immense benefits to the one who forgives.
- Lawana Blackwell, The Dowry of Miss Lydia Clark, 1999
- The last temptation is the greatest treason: to do the right deed for the wrong reason.
- T. S. Eliot (1888 - 1965)
- When you have loved as she has loved, you grow old beautifully.
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)
- When one loses the deep intimate relationship with nature, then temples, mosques and churches become important.
- Krishnamurti, Beginnings of Learning
- Make up your mind to act decidedly and take the consequences. No good is ever done in this world by hesitation.
- Thomas H. Huxley (1825 - 1895)
- Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely.
- Rodin (1840 - 1917)
- Far better to think historically, to remember the lessons of the past. Thus, far better to conceive of power as consisting in part of the knowledge of when not to use all the power you have. Far better to be one who knows that if you reserve the power not to use all your power, you will lead others far more successfully and well.
- A. Bartlett Giamatti (1938 - 1989), President of Yale University
- So you see, imagination needs moodling - long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering.
- Brenda Ueland
- The creation of art is not the fulfillment of a need but the creation of a need. The world never needed Beethoven's Fifth Symphony until he created it. Now we could not live without it.
- Louis I Kahn
- By health I mean the power to live a full, adult, living, breathing life in close contact with... the earth and the wonders thereof - the sea - the sun.
- Katherine Mansfield (1888 - 1923)
- The secret of all success is to know how to deny yourself. Prove that you can control yourself, and you are an educated man; and without this all other education is good for nothing.
- R. D. Hitchcock
- The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys.
- Sir William Preece, chief engineer of the British Post Office, 1876
- There is... nothing greater than touching the shore after crossing some great body of water knowing that I've done it with my own two arms and legs.
- Diana Nyad
- Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
- The men who really believe in themselves are all in lunatic asylums.
- G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936), Orthodoxy; p. 14