Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- A vacuum is a hell of a lot better than some of the stuff that nature replaces it with.
- Tennessee Williams (1911 - 1983), Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1955)
- Confusion is always the most honest response.
- Marty Indik
- Contrary to general belief, I do not believe that friends are necessarily the people you like best, they are merely the people who got there first.
- Peter Ustinov (1921 - 2004), Dear Me (1977)
- Self-regulation will always be a challenge, but if somebody's going to be in charge, it might as well be me.
- Daniel Akst, We Have Met the Enemy: Self-Control in an Age of Excess, 2011
- He not busy being born is busy dying.
- Bob Dylan (1941 - )
- The only way you can sustain a permanent change is to create a new way of thinking, acting, and being.
- Jennifer Hudson, I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down, 2012
- The function of science fiction is not always to predict the future but sometimes to prevent it.
- Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)
- What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892, Act III
- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
- Charles Darwin (1809 - 1882)
- Be fit for more than the thing you are now doing. Let everyone know that you have a reserve in yourself; that you have more power than you are now using. If you are not too large for the place you occupy, you are too small for it.
- James A. Garfield (1831 - 1881)
- Resolve to be thyself: and know, that he who finds himself, loses his misery.
- Matthew Arnold (1822 - 1888), 'Self-Dependence'
- The most erroneous stories are those we think we know best - and therefore never scrutinize or question.
- Stephen Jay Gould (1941 - 2002)
- I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago.
- Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849)
- Friendship is being there when someone's feeling low and not being afraid to kick them.
- Randy K. Milholland, Something Positive, 11-04-10
- This is something that I do consider to be good advice: I took my first paycheck and I put it in the goddamn bank. Then I took my second paycheck and put it in the goddamn bank. I had seen the roller coaster of my father's career - top of the world, then unemployed - and I never wanted to take a job because I needed money.
- Joss Whedon, Entertainment Weekly, 08-30-13
- The cost of living is going up and the chance of living is going down.
- Flip Wilson (1933 - 1998)
- Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.
- Helen Keller (1880 - 1968)
- Obscurity is a good thing. You can fail in obscurity. It removes the fear of failure.
- Jason Fried, Keynote Speech, SXSW 2006
- I have made my world and it is a much better world than I ever saw outside.
- Louise Nevelson (1900 - 1988)
- Worries go down better with soup than without.
- Jewish Proverb