Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- If youíre... asking yourself why I have this success and you donít, donít be angry with meóstop and ask yourself what your issues are that are holding you back.
- Jennifer Hudson, I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down, 2012
- I hold ambition of so light a quality that is is but a shadow's shadow.
- William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), Hamlet, Act II, sc. 2
- Any transition serious enough to alter your definition of self will require not just small adjustments in your way of living and thinking but a full-on metamorphosis.
- Martha Beck, O Magazine, Growing Wings, January 2004
- I say that a man must be certain of his morality for the simple reason that he has to suffer for it.
- G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
- You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth.
- Evan Esar (1899 - 1995)
- The architect should strive continually to simplify; the ensemble of the rooms should then be carefully considered that comfort and utility may go hand in hand with beauty.
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1869 - 1959), 1908
- Never say never, for if you live long enough, chances are you will not be able to abide by its restrictions. Never is a long, undependable time, and life is too full of rich possibilities to have restrictions placed upon it.
- Gloria Swanson (1899 - 1983)
- I started thinking about little kids putting a cylindrical peg through a circular hole, and how they do it over and over again for months when they figure it out, and how basketball was basically just a slightly more aerobic version of that same exercise.
- John Green, The Fault in Our Stars, 2012
- The perfect bureaucrat everywhere is the man who manages to make no decisions and escape all responsibility.
- Brooks Atkinson (1894 - 1984), Once Around the Sun, 1951
- When the politicians complain that TV turns the proceedings into a circus, it should be made clear that the circus was already there, and that TV has merely demonstrated that not all the performers are well trained.
- Edward R. Murrow (1908 - 1965)
- To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.
- Andy and Larry Wachowski, The Matrix, 1999
- Historians are like deaf people who go on answering questions that no one has asked them.
- Leo Tolstoy (1828 - 1910)
- You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
- Doris Egan, House M.D., House vs. God, 2006
- The moments that we have with friends and family, the chances that we have to make a big difference in the world or even to make a small difference to the ones we love, all those wonderful chances that life gives us, life also takes away. It can happen fast and a whole lot sooner than you think.
- Larry Page, University of Michigan Commencement Address, 2009
- Blessed are those who can give without remembering, and take without forgetting.
- Princess Elizabeth Asquith Bibesco
- She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B.
- Dorothy Parker (1893 - 1967), speaking of Katharine Hepburn
- Partake of some of life's sweet pleasures. And yes, get comfortable with yourself.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine
- Under capitalism, man exploits man. Under communism, it's just the opposite.
- John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)
- Anybody who wants the presidency so much that he'll spend two years organizing and campaigning for it is not to be trusted with the office.
- David Broder
- Man forgives woman anything save the wit to outwit him.
- Minna Thomas Antrim