Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- And this our life, exempt from public haunt,
Finds tongues in trees, books in running brooks,
Sermons in stones, and good in everything.
- William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), As You Like It, Act II, Scene i, Lines 15-17
- Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything.
- Blaise Pascal (1623 - 1662)
- If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer.
- Barack Obama (1961 - ), Election Night Speech in Chicago, 11-04-08
- A man should not leave this earth with unfinished business. He should live each day as if it was a pre-flight check. He should ask each morning, am I prepared to lift-off?
- Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, All is Vanity, 1991
- It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
- Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - )
- Ya gotta live somewhere, but also you GET to live somewhere.
- John Green, VlogBrothers, A Poem for Spring, 03-26-13
- Fear not that thy life shall come to an end, but rather fear that it shall never have a beginning.
- John Henry Cardinal Newman (1801 - 1890)
- Somewhere on this globe, every ten seconds, there is a woman giving birth to a child. She must be found and stopped.
- Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)
- A man cannot be comfortable without his own approval.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
- We cannot destroy kindred: Our chains stretch a little sometimes, but they never break.
- Marie de Rabutin-Chantal
- I think it would be worse to expect nothing than to be disappointed.
- L. M. Montgomery (1874 - 1942), Anne of Green Gables, 1908
- In democracy it's your vote that counts; In feudalism it's your count that votes.
- Mogens Jallberg
- Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter because nobody listens.
- Nick Diamos
- The whole problem can be stated quite simply by asking, 'Is there a meaning to music?' My answer would be, 'Yes.' And 'Can you state in so many words what the meaning is?' My answer to that would be, 'No.'
- Aaron Copland (1900 - 1990)
- It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
- William G. McAdoo (1863 - 1941)
- You donít need to win every medal to be successful.
- Jason Fried, Signal Vs. Noise, 08-22-06
- Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought.
- Henri Bergson (1859 - 1941)
- Seriousness is the only refuge of the shallow.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
- We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
- If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.
- Lewis Carroll (1832 - 1898)