Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- The movies are the only business where you can go out front and applaud yourself.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)
- Write something to suit yourself and many people will like it; write something to suit everybody and scarcely anyone will care for it.
- Jesse Stuart
- I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
- Anyone who has gumption knows what it is, and anyone who hasn't can never know what it is. So there is no need of defining it.
- L. M. Montgomery (1874 - 1942), Anne of the Island, 1915
- Finance is the art of passing money from hand to hand until it finally disappears.
- Robert W. Sarnoff
- The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.
- Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)
- Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), in Good Housekeeping
- Praise youth and it will prosper.
- Irish Proverb
- No synonym for God is so perfect as Beauty. Whether as seen carving the lines of the mountains with glaciers, or gathering matter into stars, or planning the movements of water, or gardening - still all is Beauty!
- John Muir (1838 - 1914), Atlantic Monthly, January 1869
- Obtain from yourself all that makes complaining useless. No longer implore from others what you yourself can obtain.
- Andre Gide (1869 - 1951)
- We can have facts without thinking but we cannot have thinking without facts.
- John Dewey (1859 - 1952)
- We're a sentimental people. We like a few kind words better than millions of dollars given in a humiliating way.
- Gamal Abdel Nasser (1918 - 1970), on refusing Western economic assistance, 'Realites,' January 20, 1969
- We are more ready to try the untried when what we do is inconsequential. Hence the fact that many inventions had their birth as toys.
- Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)
- Words, once they are printed, have a life of their own.
- Carol Burnett (1936 - )
- In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; In practice, there is.
- Chuck Reid
- There is no trade or employment but the young man following it may become a hero.
- Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892)
- Give me the splendid silent sun with all his beams full-dazzling.
- Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892)
- Fate chooses your relations, you choose your friends.
- Jacques Delille
- When I was overweight and unhappy, I thought about being smaller, I thought about fitting into different clothes and feeling comfortable in any environment or social situation. But I didn't do anything about it. I was letting myself fall victim to not planning, not clarifying steps to reach my goals. Don't go on just wanting something. Start consciously planning where you want to be.
- Ali Vincent, Believe It, Be It: How Being the Biggest Loser Won Me Back My Life, 2009
- What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?
- Dr. Robert Schuller