Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
- Brendan Gill
- A way to a man's heart is through his stomach, that shit true as gold. You put some love in your food and a fool can taste it.
- Raelle Tucker, True Blood, Cold Ground, 2008
- Of those who say nothing, few are silent.
- Thomas Neill
- Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters.
- Margaret Halsey
- If the weak hand, that has recorded this tale, has, by its scenes, beguiled the mourner of one hour of sorrow, or, by its moral, taught him to sustain it - the effort, however humble, has not been vain, nor is the writer unrewarded.
- Ann Radcliffe (1764 - 1823), The Mysteries of Udolpho, 1764
- Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast - you also miss the sense of where you are going and why.
- Eddie Cantor (1892 - 1964)
- Humor is always based on a modicum of truth. Have you ever heard a joke about a father-in-law?
- Dick Clark
- Just a word of advice. Whenever you're furious with your parents or you think they're terrible, just remember, you vomited on them and they kept you.
- John Green, Vlogbrothers, The Five Worst Places to Vomit, 09-04-12
- Beginning today, treat everyone you meet as if they were going to be dead by midnight. Extend them all the care, kindness and understanding you can muster. Your life will never be the same again.
- Og Mandino (1923 - 1996), The Greatest Miracle in the World
- Ritual is the way you carry the presence of the sacred. Ritual is the spark that must not go out.
- Christina Baldwin
- To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides.
- David Viscott, How to Live with Another Person, 1974
- What is the point of being alive if you donít at least try to do something remarkable?
- John Green, An Abundance of Katherines, 2008
- The wisest mind has something yet to learn.
- George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
- Contrary to general belief, I do not believe that friends are necessarily the people you like best, they are merely the people who got there first.
- Peter Ustinov (1921 - 2004), Dear Me (1977)
- Disconnecting from change does not recapture the past. It loses the future.
- Kathleen Norris, O Magazine, January 2004
- If youíre... asking yourself why I have this success and you donít, donít be angry with meóstop and ask yourself what your issues are that are holding you back.
- Jennifer Hudson, I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down, 2012
- Never face facts; if you do, you'll never get up in the morning.
- Marlo Thomas
- We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.
- Aesop (620 BC - 560 BC)
- Some things you do because you want to. Some things you do because of the needs of others in your family.
- Gordon Atkinson, Real Live Preacher weblog, 10-06-05
- Seeing ourselves as others would probably confirm our worst suspicions about them.
- Franklin P. Jones