Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- You should not live one way in private, another in public.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
- The advantage of a classical education is that it enables you to despise the wealth that it prevents you from achieving.
- Russell Green
- 'If itís meant for me, it will be.' Those words are my mantra in life, and it has never let me down.
- Jennifer Hudson, I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down, 2012
- People might not get all they work for in this world, but they must certainly work for all they get.
- Frederick Douglass (1817 - 1895)
- Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons. It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.
- Walt Whitman (1819 - 1892), Song of the Open Road
- An inventor is simply a fellow who doesn't take his education too seriously.
- Charles F. Kettering (1876 - 1958)
- When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
- Bernard Bailey
- If I wrote what I really think, I would be so sad all the time. We create to fill a gap - not just to avoid the idea of dying, it's to fill some particular gap in ourselves.
- Joss Whedon, Entertainment Weekly, 08-30-13
- My computer beat me at chess... so I beat it at kickboxing.
- Demetri Martin
- Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean. None of Nature's landscapes are ugly so long as they are wild.
- John Muir (1838 - 1914), Our National Parks, 1901
- Seize the moment of excited curiosity on any subject to solve your doubts; for if you let it pass, the desire may never return, and you may remain in ignorance.
- William Wirt (1772 - 1834)
- Stories donít just make us matter to each otherómaybe theyíre also the only way to the infinite mattering heíd been after for so long.
- John Green, An Abundance of Katherines, 2008
- I have left orders to be awakened at any time in case of national emergency, even if I'm in a cabinet meeting.
- Ronald Reagan (1911 - 2004)
- Anything looked at closely becomes wonderful.
- A. R. Ammons
- Just think of the tragedy of teaching children not to doubt.
- Clarence Darrow (1857 - 1938)
- Women and men have to fight together to change society - and both will benefit... Partnership, not dependence, is the real romance in marriage.
- Muriel Fox
- Not every story has explosions and car chases. That's why they have nudity and espionage.
- Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum, Unshelved, 09-14-08
- The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but significance - and then even the small steps and little victories along your path will take on greater meaning.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine, September 2002
- Our great weariness comes from work not done.
- Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983), The New York Times Magazine, April 25, 1971
- An idealist is a person who helps other people to be prosperous.
- Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)