Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- I really feel as if the things we create together are not things we devised, but things we discovered, as if, in some sense, they were always there in us, waiting to be revealed, like the figure of Mercury waiting in a rough lump of marble.
- Raymond Joseph Teller, Fury Letter written to Brian Brushwood, 10-18-93
- Intimacy is what makes a marriage, not a ceremony, not a piece of paper from the state.
- Kathleen Norris
- Turn the world over on its side and everything loose will land in Los Angeles.
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1869 - 1959)
- Frankly, Iím suspicious of anyone who has a strong opinion on a complicated issue.
- Scott Adams (1957 - ), The Dilbert Blog
- I take it that what all men are really after is some form or perhaps only some formula of peace.
- Joseph Conrad (1857 - 1924)
- I guess we'd be living in a boring, perfect world if everybody wished everybody else well.
- Jennifer Aniston, O Magazine, February 2004
- When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats.
- Claude Swanson (1862 - 1939)
- Fear is that little darkroom where negatives are developed.
- Michael Pritchard
- The human tendency to regard little things as important has produced very many great things.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg (1742 - 1799)
- We need anything politically important rationed out like Pez: small, sweet, and coming out of a funny, plastic head.
- Dennis Miller
- People are, if anything, more touchy about being thought silly than they are about being thought unjust.
- E. B. White (1899 - 1985)
- Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.
- Edward R. Murrow (1908 - 1965)
- Sitting at the table doesn't make you a diner, unless you eat some of what's on that plate. Being here in America doesn't make you an American. Being born here in America doesn't make you an American.
- Malcolm X (1925 - 1965), Malcolm X Speaks, 1965
- Don't give advice. It will come back and bite you in the [butt]. Don't take anyone's advice. So, my advice to you is to be true to yourself and everything will be fine.
- Ellen DeGeneres, Tulane Commencement Speech, 2009
- Happiness makes up in height for what it lacks in length.
- Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)
- A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)
- If you find serenity and happiness, some people may be jealous. Be happy anyway.
- Mother Teresa (1910 - 1997)
- Whenever I hear, 'It can't be done,' I know I'm close to success.
- Michael Flatley, (Lord of the Dance) quoted by Eric Celeste
- Don't waste too much time trying' to be a better man, ' cause you ain't never gonna be one without a good woman.
- Mark Roberts, Mike & Molly, Peggy's New Beau, May 16, 2011
- Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.
- Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)