Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way.
- Doris Lessing
- Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.
- Og Mandino (1923 - 1996)
- Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
- Brendan Gill
- Entropy is the normal state of consciousness - a condition that is neither useful nor enjoyable.
- Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, 1990
- A lawyer starts life giving $500 worth of law for $5 and ends giving $5 worth for $500.
- Benjamin H. Brewster (1816 - 1888)
- Where we have strong emotions, we're liable to fool ourselves.
- Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996), Cosmos (Blues for a Red Planet)
- Never judge a book by its movie.
- J. W. Eagan
- When you have the courage to tell the truth about what you're really afraid of, fear doesn't have control over your life.
- Ali Vincent, Believe It, Be It: How Being the Biggest Loser Won Me Back My Life, 2009
- Don't use a big word where a diminutive one will suffice.
- We are more ready to try the untried when what we do is inconsequential. Hence the fact that many inventions had their birth as toys.
- Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)
- You have a choice in this world, I believe, about how to tell sad stories.
- John Green, The Fault in Our Stars, 2012
- The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest.
- Thomas Moore (1779 - 1852)
- I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
- Herbert Bayard Swope (1882 - 1958)
- We all carry around so much pain in our hearts. Love and pain and beauty. They all seem to go together like one little tidy confusing package. It's a messy business, life. It's hard to figure--full of surprises. Some good. Some bad.
- Henry Bromel, Northern Exposure, The Big Kiss, 1991
- Language exerts hidden power, like a moon on the tides.
- Rita Mae Brown, Starting From Scratch, 1988
- Our feelings are our most genuine paths to knowledge.
- Audre Lorde
- Adversity does teach who your real friends are.
- Lois McMaster Bujold, A Civil Campaign, 1999
- It's innocence when it charms us, ignorance when it doesn't.
- Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook
- What makes something special is not just what you have to gain, but what you feel there is to lose.
- Andre Agassi (1970 - ), on "Charlie Rose"
- You can get everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want.
- Zig Ziglar, "Secrets of Closing the Sale", 1984