Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- All phone calls are obscene.
- Karen Elizabeth Gordon
- Life is a fatal complaint, and an eminently contagious one.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 - 1894), "The Poet at the Breakfast-Table", 1872
- The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible.
- George Burns (1896 - 1996)
- Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.
- Mark Jenkins, "To Timbuktu"
- We think having faith means being convinced God exists in the same way we are convinced a chair exists. People who cannot be completely convinced of Godís existence think faith is impossible for them. Not so. People who doubt can have great faith because faith is something you do, not something you think. In fact, the greater your doubt the more heroic your faith.
- Gordon Atkinson, RealLivePreacher.com Weblog, December 26, 2002
- Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success.
- Christopher Lasch
- Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power.
- Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)
- Acquaintance, n.: A person whom we know well enough to borrow from, but not well enough to lend to.
- Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914), The Devil's Dictionary
- I once read cooking is something you do for your family. But when youíre alone you sometimes have to treat yourself like family. And now that my apartmentís redolent with the smell of food it feels more like a home than a box where I hang my hat.
- Waiter Rant, Waiter Rant, 01-10-10
- You find yourself refreshed by the presence of cheerful people. Why not make an honest effort to confer that pleasure on others? Half the battle is gained if you never allow yourself to say anything gloomy.
- Lydia M. Child
- The only way not to think about money is to have a great deal of it.
- Edith Wharton (1862 - 1937)
- One person can have a profound effect on another. And two people...well, two people can work miracles. They can change a whole town. They can change the world.
- Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, Cicely, 1992
- The scornful nostril and the high head gather not the odors that lie on the track of truth.
- George Eliot (1819 - 1880), Felix Holt, the Radical, 1866
- Call home at least once a week. It's a proven fact that we call home less the older we get. And that's wrong. It should be the other way around. As we get older, our parents get older.
- Randy Pausch, Carnegie Mellon Commencement Speech, 2008
- Better to look weak and be strong than to look strong and be weak.
- Laura Moncur (1969 - ), Merriton: 35 Minutes from Home, 05-19-12
- It's amazing how quickly nature consumes human places after we turn our backs on them. Life is a hungry thing.
- Scott Westerfeld, Peeps, 2005
- The reason most people never reach their goals is that they don't define them, or ever seriously consider them as believable or achievable. Winners can tell you where they are going, what they plan to do along the way, and who will be sharing the adventure with them.
- Denis Watley
- The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.
- Esther Dyson, Interview in Time Magazine, October 2005
- I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
- Mary Chase (1887 - 1973), Jimmy Stewart in "Harvey", 1950
- It is not enough to aim; you must hit.
- Italian Proverb