Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest of violence.
- Francis Jeffrey (1773 - 1850)
- Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
- Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992), Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
- The only thing that's been a worse flop than the organization of non-violence has been the organization of violence.
- Joan Baez (1941 - )
- Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
- John F. Kennedy (1917 - 1963), In a speech at the White House, 1962
- It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948)
- Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948), 'Satyagraha Leaflet No. 13,' May 3, 1919
- There are more pleasant things to do than beat up people.
- Muhammad Ali (1942 - )
- Perseverance is more prevailing than violence; and many things which cannot be overcome when they are together, yield themselves up when taken little by little.
- Plutarch (46 AD - 120 AD), Lives
- The right things to do are those that keep our violence in abeyance; the wrong things are those that bring it to the fore.
- Robert J. Sawyer (1960 - ), "Calculating God", 2000
- It is by no means self-evident that human beings are most real when most violently excited; violent physical passions do not in themselves differentiate men from each other, but rather tend to reduce them to the same state.
- Thomas Elliot