I’m not a frilly girl. I don’t like dresses or pretty things. I fantasize about setting fires more than men. I enjoy learning about hoaxes and scams much more than learning about manners and correct speech. I find no interest in romance, because I’m too busy accruing interest in finance. I enjoy my life as a woman who can do whatever she wants in this world. Why, then, do I like Jane Austen’s novels?
I believe that the appeal of her work to me is the incredible wittiness of her women. I try to be funny, but fail most of the time. I find the notion of wonderfully witty women in a society where politeness is crucial so pleasing that I have read many of her novels more than once. I’m hoping to catch her characters making fools of others to their faces, with humor and hidden rancor, in ways I didn’t notice before. Here are a few of the best quotes from Jane Austen in celebration of her birthday.
Introduction and quote compilation by Laura S. Moncur, Staff Writer.
- “I think I may boast myself to be, with all possible vanity, the most unlearned and uninformed female who ever dared to be an authoress.”
- letter to James Stanier Clarke, 11 Dec 1815
For more information about Jane Austen, try these links:
- Jane Austen Film & Television Adaptations – A site with lovely pictures from the film versions of Jane Austen’s work. There are many images to download and a list of other links.
- The following books and tapes are available through Amazon.com:
- Best of Jane Austen boxed paperback set that includes: Emma, Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. A good starting set.
- The Illustrated Letters of Jane Austen Paperback by Jane Austen, Penelope Hughes-Hallett (Editor). Beautiful pictures accompany Jane Austen’s letters. She was rather candid in her letters to her sister Cassandra, which are the best.
- Jane Austen’s Little Advice Book Hardcover by Jane Austen, Cathryn Michon, Pamela Norris, David Johnson. Quotations from Jane Austen regarding Men, Women, Money, Marriage, and Social Life. If you liked her quotes, you’ll love this book with additional witty commentary from the authors listed above.
- Pride and Prejudice VHS Video Edition, Published by A & E HOME VIDEO. I must admit that this rendition of Pride and Prejudice is what started it all for me. Seeing Jennifer Ehle play the feisty Elizabeth Bennett made me love Jane Austen. Colin Firth plays a dark and brooding Mr. Darcy with curly locks and glaring glances. I bought this set at full price and it was well worth it. Amazon.com is offering it for $10 buck cheaper at $89.99.
- Jane Austen Home Page – a collection of links and the actual works of Jane Austen available for download.
- Jane Austen Information Page – A huge collection of texts of Jane Austen’s works, commentary, silly jokes and pictures of the authoress. This site is enormous, but doesn’t take itself too seriously.