I like to think that my childhood is no different than that of my peers. I pretend that all children watched Cosmos on Saturday nights on PBS with their fathers, but I’m sure that is not the case. While I counted the days to Saturday to see Carl Sagan’s television show, other kids were counting the days to see Dukes of Hazzard. It explains much of my persona to know that I was raised with the ideas and philosophies of Carl Sagan.
Nearly a year ago, when Carl Sagan died, many news shows televised brief biographies of his life. It was then that I realized that I would never be able to do him justice on a single web page. Here are a few quotes from Mr. Sagan. I hope you can enjoy him as much as I have my entire life.
Introduction and quote compilation by Laura S. Moncur, Staff Writer.
- “It is of interest to note that while some dolphins are reported to have learned English — up to fifty words used in correct context — no human being has been reported to have learned dolphinese.”
For more information about Carl Sagan, try these links:
- The Carl Sagan Page – A biography and other cool links.
- The following books and tapes are available through Amazon.com:
- Contact Audio Tape Narrated by Jodie Foster
- Contact Paperback
- Cosmos Paperback
- Broca’s Brain : Reflections on the Romance of Science Paperback
- The Carl Sagan Honorary Page – More detailed biography of his scientific contributions.
- Contact – The site about the popular summer movie adapted from Carl Sagan’s book. Interviews with the director, movie transcripts, and an irritating noise from the movie.