Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- There are people who, instead of listening to what is being said to them, are already listening to what they are going to say themselves.
- Albert Guinon (1863 - 1923)
- No man ever listened himself out of a job.
- Calvin Coolidge (1872 - 1933)
- Make sure you have finished speaking before your audience has finished listening.
- Dorothy Sarnoff
- When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen.
- Ernest Hemingway (1899 - 1961)
- To listen closely and reply well is the highest perfection we are able to attain in the art of conversation.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)
- Be a good listener. Your ears will never get you in trouble.
- Frank Tyger
- Listen. Do not have an opinion while you listen because frankly, your opinion doesn't hold much water outside of Your Universe. Just listen. Listen until their brain has been twisted like a dripping towel and what they have to say is all over the floor.
- Hugh Elliott, Standing Room Only weblog, 02-14-2003
- A good listener is a good talker with a sore throat.
- Katharine Whitehorn
- A good listener is usually thinking about something else.
- Kin Hubbard (1868 - 1930)
- Maybe I wanted to hear it so badly that my ears betrayed my mind in order to secure my heart.
- Margaret Cho, weblog, 03-03-04
- No one really listens to anyone else, and if you try it for a while you'll see why.
- Mignon McLaughlin
- Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter because nobody listens.
- Nick Diamos
- It is the province of knowledge to speak and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 - 1894)
- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly.
- Plutarch (46 AD - 120 AD)
- As I get older, I've learned to listen to people rather than accuse them of things.
- Po Bronson, quoted in Publishers Weekly
- My parents taught me how to listen to everybody before I made up my own mind. When you listen, you learn. You absorb like a sponge-and your life becomes so much better than when you are just trying to be listened to all the time.
- Steven Spielberg
- A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while he gets to know something.
- Wilson Mizner (1876 - 1933)