Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Pray that your loneliness may spur you into finding something to live for, great enough to die for.
- Dag Hammarskjold (1905 - 1961)
- When you close your doors, and make darkness within, remember never to say that you are alone, for you are not alone; nay, God is within, and your genius is within. And what need have they of light to see what you are doing?
- Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD), Discourses
- To be an adult is to be alone.
- Jean Rostand (1894 - 1977), Thoughts of a biologist (1939)
- Disappearing can be quite the coping mechanism for those of us who fear abandonment the very most of all. If we disappear, you have to find us. You're the one who worries. We know where we are, but you can't leave me. I'm in charge and doing the leaving. Not the other way around.
- Jennifer Neal, nakedjen, Disappearing Act, 03-06-12
- People drain me, even the closest of friends, and I find loneliness to be the best state in the union to live in.
- Margaret Cho, weblog, 10-30-03
- The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
- Inside myself is a place where I live all alone and that's where you renew your springs that never dry up.
- Pearl Buck (1892 - 1973)
- They are never alone that are accompanied with noble thoughts.
- Sir Philip Sidney (1554 - 1586)
- To be alone is to be different, to be different is to be alone.
- Suzanne Gordon, Lonely in America, 1976
- No matter how lonely you get or how many birth announcements you receive, the trick is not to get frightened. There's nothing wrong with being alone.
- Wendy Wasserstein (1950 - 2005), Isn't It Romantic, 1983