As we are completing our transition to the new site, many of you have sent comments and questions. I thought I would take a moment to answer some of the most common questions.
(These questions are all paraphrased from emails I have received; most have been asked by two or more people. I am not including contact information from the emails for the sake of users’ privacy.)
- What happened to the “Number of Quotes” option on the Random Quotations page?
- I didn’t include this option in the new site to simplify things, as I wasn’t sure if anyone used it. Now I know better – the Number of Quotes option will be added by September 15th for the final rollout of the new page.
UPDATE: As of 9/6/2000, this has been fixed.
- The page is too wide for my screen. Is there a way to prevent this?
- I’m currently working on ways of making the layout resolution-independent, both to display in a more narrow fashion for small screens, and to take advantage of the space on larger screens. This should be done shortly after the rollout.
- What’s with the occasional repeated quotes on the Quotes of the Day and Random pages?
- Apparently my random quotations aren’t quite random enough. This was actually possible on the old site too, but it seems to happen more with the new one. I will be fixing the problem by the 15th.
UPDATE: As of 10/20/2000, this has been fixed.
- I read the Quotes of the Day regularly using AvantGo. Will this still be supported?
- Actually, I didn’t have anything to do with AvantGo’s support for my site; apparently a user set that up. But I will be developing specifically for AvantGo and making sure it works later this month. Please Contact Me if you’re an AvantGo user, as I could use a few beta testers for this feature.
UPDATE: The AvantGo pages are ready. Follow the links at the bottom of the Quotes of the Day and Motivational Quotes pages to set up the AvantGo channels.
- What happened to the Steven Wright, Dave Barry and Jack Handey collections on the Random and Search pages?
- I’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue these for now for legal reasons. While I love these collections, the fact that they’re single-author collections (and the Dave Barry one contains very large passages from his articles) make them a lawsuit waiting to happen. I’m looking into legal ways of including these and other collections soon - stay tuned.
By the way, we’re adding several collections to make up for the loss, beginning with the Classic Collection, which will be up by September 15th.
- Have you considered adding an index by subject or by author?
- An index by author is coming soon. Subjects are more difficult, as we have to classify every quote, but we are working on this too.
UPDATE: As of 12/10/2000, the Author Index is now online.
Once again, I’d like to thank everyone who has sent comments about the new site. If you have comments, please use the Forum – which isn’t getting much traffic yet - or for more private comments, Send us email.