Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- He who would travel happily must travel light.
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)
- Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything.
- Charles Kuralt
- When you travel, remember that a foreign country is not designed to make you comfortable. It is designed to make its own people comfortable.
- Clifton Fadiman (1904 - 1999)
- The true traveler is he who goes on foot, and even then, he sits down a lot of the time.
- Colette (1873 - 1954), Paris From My Window, 1944
- A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.
- George Moore
- Before he sets out, the traveler must possess fixed interests and facilities to be served by travel.
- George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
- The saying "Getting there is half the fun" became obsolete with the advent of commercial airlines.
- Henry J. Tillman
- There’s something wonderful about entertaining people on vacation. Everyone is there to have a good time.
- Jennifer Hudson, I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down, 2012
- There is not a person in the world who is given the advantage of travel who does not return changed.
- Laura Moncur (1969 - ), The Secret Heart of Charlotte Lucas, 2014
- Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.
- Miriam Beard
- Travel is only glamorous in retrospect.
- Paul Theroux (1941 - ), in The Washington Post
- Everywhere I go I find a poet has been there before me.
- Sigmund Freud (1856 - 1939)
- Travel only with thy equals or thy betters; if there are none, travel alone.
- The Dhammapada
- No one travelling on a business trip would be missed if he failed to arrive.
- Thorstein Veblen (1857 - 1929)