Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- A man's homeland is wherever he prospers.
- Aristophanes (450 BC - 388 BC), Plutus, 388 B.C.
- Not going home is already like death.
- E. Catherine Tobler, Vanishing Act
- Luxuries are never so comfortable as are the familiar, ordinary things of home.
- Eucharista Ward, Match For Mary Bennet, 2009
- A man travels the world over in search of what he needs and returns home to find it.
- George Moore
- The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes.
- Harold B. Lee (1899 - 1973)
- Life's a voyage that's homeward bound.
- Herman Melville (1819 - 1891)
- The weird thing about houses is that they almost always look like nothing is happening inside of them, even though they contain most of our lives.
- John Green, The Fault in Our Stars, 2012
- Ya gotta live somewhere, but also you GET to live somewhere.
- John Green, VlogBrothers, A Poem for Spring, 03-26-13
- Mid pleasures and palaces though we may roam,
Be it ever so humble, there's no place like home.
- John Howard Payne (1791 - 1852)
- A good home must be made, not bought.
- Joyce Maynard, "Domestic Affairs"
- An old house with its windows gone always makes me think of something dead with its eyes picked out.
- L. M. Montgomery (1874 - 1942), Anne of Green Gables, 1908
- As difficult as it is to have company within one's house, the absence of company is more so. The quiet echoing of solitary footsteps within the halls is suddenly amplified without the voices of excited guests. The clinking of plates and silver has narrowed to individual forks and spoons instead of the enchanting din of dining. The natural creaks and squeaks of the home are louder and more surprising.
- Laura Moncur (1969 - ), The Secret Heart of Charlotte Lucas, 2014
- My home is not a place, it is people.
- Lois McMaster Bujold, "Barrayar", 1991
- A house that does not have one worn, comfy chair in it is soulless.
- May Sarton
- In everyone's heart stirs a great homesickness.
- Rabbi Seymour Siegel