Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
- Alan Kay
- I never think of the future - it comes soon enough.
- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
- The future belongs to those who can rise above the confines of the earth.
- Alfred North Whitehead (1861 - 1947), From the viewbook of Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Change is the process by which the future invades our lives.
- Alvin Toffler
- In the future everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes.
- Andy Warhol (1928 - 1987)
- The upper classes are... a nation's past; the middle class is its future.
- Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982)
- All human situations have their inconveniences. We feel those of the present but neither see nor feel those of the future; and hence we often make troublesome changes without amendment, and frequently for the worse.
- Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)
- The future is something which everyone reaches at the rate of sixty minutes an hour, whatever he does, whoever he is.
- C. S. Lewis (1898 - 1963)
- You can't base your life on the past or the present. You have to tell me about your future.
- Chuck Palahniuk (1962 - ), Invisible Monsters, 1999
- Study the past if you would define the future.
- Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)
- The time is now, the place is here. Stay in the present. You can do nothing to change the past, and the future will never come exactly as you plan or hope for.
- Dan Millman
- The future will be better tomorrow.
- Dan Quayle (1947 - )
- The future is much like the present, only longer.
- Dan Quisenberry
- The future is no place to place your better days.
- Dave Matthews, "Cry Freedom"
- The thing to remember is that that the future comes one day at a time.
- Dean Acheson, Communication Bulletin for Managers & Supervisors, June 2004
- A preoccupation with the future not only prevents us from seeing the present as it is but often prompts us to rearrange the past.
- Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983), The Passionate State of Mind, 1954
- The function of science fiction is not always to predict the future but sometimes to prevent it.
- Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)
- I look to the future because that's where I'm going to spend the rest of my life.
- George Burns (1896 - 1996)
- There's no present. There's only the immediate future and the recent past.
- George Carlin (1937 - 2008)
- Because we don't think about future generations, they will never forget us.
- Henrik Tikkanen
- Not much longer shall we have time for reading lessons of the past. An inexorable present calls us to the defense of a great future.
- Henry Luce
- The future is uncertain... but this uncertainty is at the very heart of human creativity.
- Ilya Prigogine (1917 - )
- The consequences of our actions are so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.
- J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
- Children have neither past nor future; they enjoy the present.
- Jean de la Bruyere (1645 - 1696)
- The future is an opaque mirror. Anyone who tries to look into it sees nothing but the dim outlines of an old and worried face.
- Jim Bishop, New York Journal-American, March 14, 1959
- We have come too far, we have sacrificed too much, to disdain the future now.
- John F. Kennedy (1917 - 1963)
- ...myopia. He was nearsighted. The future lay before him, inevitable but invisible.
- John Green, An Abundance of Katherines, 2008
- The future, according to some scientists, will be exactly like the past, only far more expensive.
- John Sladek
- A man that don't believe in destiny don't need to know what his destiny is.
- Laura Moncur (1969 - ), Merriton: Twelve Hours from San Francisco, 08-20-08
- The future belongs to those who prepare for it today.
- Malcolm X (1925 - 1965)