Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- This is the best kind of voyeurism, hearing joy from your neighbors.
- Chuck Sigars, The World According to Chuck weblog, October 14, 2003
- Virtue is not left to stand alone. He who practices it will have neighbors.
- Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC), The Confucian Analects
- There are many who dare not kill themselves for fear of what the neighbors will say.
- Cyril Connolly (1903 - 1974)
- The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people.
- G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
- Some people did what their neighbors did so that if any lunatics were at large, one might know and avoid them.
- George Eliot (1819 - 1880), Middlemarch
- A bad neighbor is a misfortune, as much as a good one is a great blessing.
- Hesiod (~800 BC), Works and Days
- The impersonal hand of government can never replace the helping hand of a neighbor.
- Hubert H. Humphrey (1911 - 1978)
- Ask about your neighbors, then buy the house.
- Jewish Proverb
- How much time he saves who does not look to see what his neighbor says or does or thinks.
- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (121 AD - 180 AD)
- The good neighbor looks beyond the external accidents and discerns those inner qualities that make all men human and, therefore, brothers.
- Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968), 'Strength to Love,' 1963
- It is folly to punish your neighbor by fire when you live next door.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
- Don't buy the house; buy the neighborhood.
- Russian Proverb
- No matter how much you disagree with your kin, if you are a thoroughbred you will not discuss their shortcomings with the neighbors.
- Tom Thompson
- A nation is a society united by delusions about its ancestry and by common hatred of its neighbors.
- William Ralph Inge (1860 - 1954)