Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Gratitude is born in hearts that take time to count up past mercies.
- Charles E. Jefferson (1860 - 1937)
- Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others.
- Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC), 'Pro Plancio,' 54 B.C.
- Gratitude is merely the secret hope of further favors.
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)
- Gratitude is the most exquisite form of courtesy.
- Jacques Maritain (1882 - 1973), Reflections on America, 1958
- There but for the grace of God go [I].
- John Bradford, Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins
- I was thinking about the universe wanting to be noticed, and how I had to notice it as best I could. I felt that I owed a debt to the universe that only my attention could repay, and also that I owed a debt to everybody who didnít get to be a person anymore and everyone who hadnít gotten to be a person yet.
- John Green, The Fault in Our Stars, 2012
- Gratitude can sometimes be as annoying as whininess.
- Josh Lieb, I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to be Your Class President, 2009
- It's a sign of mediocrity when you demonstrate gratitude with moderation.
- Roberto Benigni (1952 - ), in Newsweek