Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some hire public relations officers.
- Daniel J. Boorstin (1914 - )
- It is the nature of all greatness not to be exact.
- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
- Greatness is more than potential. It is the execution of that potential. Beyond the raw talent. You need the appropriate training. You need the discipline. You need the inspiration. You need the drive.
- Eric A. Burns, Gossamer Commons, 08-12-05
- By constant self-discipline and self-control you can develop greatness of character.
- Grenville Kleiser
- I don't confuse greatness with perfection. To be great anyhow is…the higher achievement.
- Lois McMaster Bujold, "Mirror Dance", 1994
- There are some men who lift the age they inhabit, till all men walk on higher ground in that lifetime.
- Maxwell Anderson (1888 - 1959), Valley Forge, Act II, scene ii, 1937
- There be three things which make a nation great and prosperous: a fertile soil, busy workshops, easy conveyance for men and goods from place to place.
- Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)
- The price of greatness is responsibility.
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)
- Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
- Stanislaw Lem (1921 - 2006), "Holiday", September 1963
- We have, I fear, confused power with greatness.
- Stewart L. Udall (1920 - ), commencement address, Dartmouth College, June 13, 1965
- The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis.
- Thurgood Marshall (1908 - 1993)
- The secret of greatness is simple: do better work than any other man in your field - and keep on doing it.
- Wilfred A. Peterson
- Be not afraid of greatness: some men are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.
- William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), 'Twelfth Night'