Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- She knows what is the best purpose of education: not to be frightened by the best but to treat it as part of daily life.
- John Mason Brown (1900 - 1969)
- Fathers send their sons to college either because they went to college or because they didn't.
- L. L. Henderson
- Education is a method whereby one acquires a higher grade of prejudices.
- Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)
- Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
- Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990), in Forbes Magazine
- I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
- Training is everything. The peach was once a bitter almond; cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894)
- To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge it, requires brains.
- Mary Pettibone Poole, A Glass Eye at a Keyhole, 1938
- I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly.
- Michel de Montaigne (1533 - 1592)
- Education is the guardian genius of democracy. It is the only dictator that free men recognize, and the only ruler that free men require.
- Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar
- Education is a state-controlled manufactory of echoes.
- Norman Douglas
- Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't.
- Pete Seeger
- When a subject becomes totally obsolete we make it a required course.
- Peter Drucker (1909 - 2005)
- The direction in which education starts a man will determine his future life.
- Plato (427 BC - 347 BC), The Republic
- The very spring and root of honesty and virtue lie in good education.
- Plutarch (46 AD - 120 AD), Morals
- It is only the ignorant who despise education.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC), Maxims
- The secret of all success is to know how to deny yourself. Prove that you can control yourself, and you are an educated man; and without this all other education is good for nothing.
- R. D. Hitchcock
- A college degree is not a sign that one is a finished product but an indication a person is prepared for life.
- Reverend Edward A. Malloy, Monk's Reflections
- Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence.
- Robert Frost (1874 - 1963)
- If you feel that you have boy feet planted on the ground, then the university has failed you.
- Robert Goheen
- Education is a kind of continuing dialogue, and a dialogue assumes, in the nature of the case, different points of view.
- Robert Hutchins (1899 - 1977)
- The advantage of a classical education is that it enables you to despise the wealth that it prevents you from achieving.
- Russell Green
- To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.
- Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)
- Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly.
- Thomas H. Huxley (1825 - 1895)
- I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education.
- Thomas Jefferson (1743 - 1826)
- Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.
- Will Durant (1885 - 1981)
- There is nothing as stupid as an educated man if you get him off the thing he was educated in.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)
- The great thing, then, in all education, is to make our nervous system our ally instead of our enemy.
- William James (1842 - 1910), The Principles of Psychology
- I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education.
- Wilson Mizner (1876 - 1933)
- Education is like a double-edged sword. It may be turned to dangerous uses if it is not properly handled.
- Wu Ting-Fang