Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
To search for quotations, enter a phrase to search for in the quotation, a whole or partial
author name, or both. Also specify the collections to search in below. See the
Search Instructions for details.
- Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not; it is the first lesson that ought to be learned; and however early a man's training begins, it is probably the last lesson that he learns thoroughly.
- Thomas H. Huxley (1825 - 1895)
- Train up a fig tree in the way it should go, and when you are old sit under the shade of it.
- Charles Dickens (1812 - 1870)
- Do not smoke without asking permission or sit so near (as in a train) that the smoke might annoy.
- Amy Vanderbilt (1908 - 1974)
- Real, constructive mental power lies in the creative thought that shapes your destiny, and your hour-by-hour mental conduct produces power for change in your life. Develop a train of thought on which to ride. The nobility of your life as well as your happiness depends upon the direction in which that train of thought is going.
- Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)
- I take it as a man's duty to restrain himself.
- Lois McMaster Bujold, Ethan of Athos, 1986
- To use fear as the friend it is, we must retrain and reprogram ourselves...We must persistently and convincingly tell ourselves that the fear is here--with its gift of energy and heightened awareness--so we can do our best and learn the most in the new situation.
- Peter McWilliams, Life 101
- We strain to renew our capacity for wonder, to shock ourselves into astonishment once again.
- Shana Alexander
- Is love supposed to last throughout all time, or is it like trains changing at random stops. If I loved her, how could I leave her? If I felt that way then, how come I don't feel anything now?
- Jeff Melvoin, Northern Exposure, Altered Egos, 1993
- Greatness is more than potential. It is the execution of that potential. Beyond the raw talent. You need the appropriate training. You need the discipline. You need the inspiration. You need the drive.
- Eric A. Burns, Gossamer Commons, 08-12-05
- I am here for a purpose and that purpose is to grow into a mountain, not to shrink to a grain of sand. Henceforth will I apply ALL my efforts to become the highest mountain of all and I will strain my potential until it cries for mercy.
- Og Mandino (1923 - 1996)
Can't find what you're looking for? Try browsing our list of quotations by subject..