Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
To search for quotations, enter a phrase to search for in the quotation, a whole or partial
author name, or both. Also specify the collections to search in below. See the
Search Instructions for details.
- Humor is a rubber sword - it allows you to make a point without drawing blood.
- Mary Hirsch
- It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.
- Freeman Dyson (1923 - )
- True humor is fun - it does not put down, kid, or mock. It makes people feel wonderful, not separate, different, and cut off. True humor has beneath it the understanding that we are all in this together.
- Hugh Prather
- The universe may not always play fair, but at least it's got a hell of a sense of humor.
- Michael Patrick King, Sex and the City
- Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
- Every time I paint a portrait I lose a friend.
- John Singer Sargent (1856 - 1925), quoted in Bentley and Esar, Treasury of Humorous Quotations (1951)
- I sometimes think that the saving grace of America lies in the fact that the overwhelming majority of Americans are possessed of two great qualities- a sense of humor and a sense of proportion.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)
- Someone bent on suicide won't have much sense of humor left.
- Chuck Palahniuk (1962 - ), "Survivor"
- The wit makes fun of other persons; the satirist makes fun of the world; the humorist makes fun of himself, but in so doing, he identifies himself with people--that is, people everywhere, not for the purpose of taking them apart, but simply revealing their true nature.
- James Thurber (1894 - 1961)
- A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing.
- Clive James
Can't find what you're looking for? Try browsing our list of quotations by subject..