Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
To search for quotations, enter a phrase to search for in the quotation, a whole or partial
author name, or both. Also specify the collections to search in below. See the
Search Instructions for details.
- He felt about books as doctors feel about medicines, or managers about plays - cynical, but hopeful.
- Dame Rose Macaulay (1881 - 1958), Crewe Train, 1926
- Properly, we should read for power. Man reading should be man intensely alive. The book should be a ball of light in one's hand.
- Ezra Pound (1885 - 1972)
- Hail to you gods, on that day of the great reckoning. Behold me, I have come to you, without sin, without guilt, without evil, without a witness against me, without one whom I have wronged. I am one pure of mouth, pure of hands.
- The Book of the Dead, The Address to the Gods, 1700-1000 B.C.
- Many books require no thought from those who read them, and for a very simple reason; they made no such demand upon those who wrote them.
- Charles Caleb Colton (1780 - 1832), Lacon, 1820
- Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.
- Charles W. Eliot (1834 - 1926), The Happy Life, 1896
- In the highest civilization, the book is still the highest delight. He who has once known its satisfactions is provided with a resource against calamity.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882), Letters and Social Aims: Quotation and Originality, 1876
- The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807 - 1882), 'Morituri Salutamus,' 1875
- How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book.
- Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862), Walden: Reading, 1854
- Never read a book through merely because you have begun it.
- John Witherspoon (1723 - 1794)
- Be as careful of the books you read, as of the company you keep; for your habits and character will be as much influenced by the former as by the latter.
- Paxton Hood
Can't find what you're looking for? Try browsing our list of quotations by subject..