To search for quotations, enter a phrase to search for in the quotation, a whole or partial
author name, or both. Also specify the collections to search in below. See the
Search Instructions for details.
- The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
- You are not superior just because you see the world in an odious light.
- Vicomte de Chateaubriand (1768 - 1848)
- When a man says he approves of something in principle, it means he hasn't the slightest intention of putting it into practice.
- Otto von Bismarck (1815 - 1898)
- To knock a thing down, especially if it is cocked at an arrogant angle, is a deep delight of the blood.
- George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
- Washington is the only place where sound travels faster than light.
- C. V. R. Thompson
- The reason lightning doesn't strike twice in the same place is that the same place isn't there the second time.
- Willie Tyler
- Television news is like a lightning flash. It makes a loud noise, lights up everything around it, leaves everything else in darkness and then is suddenly gone.
- Hodding Carter
- Do you realize if it weren't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight?
- Al Boliska
- My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
- Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
- The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye. The more light you shine on it, the more it will contract.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. (1841 - 1935)
Can't find what you're looking for? Try browsing our list of quotations by subject..