Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
To search for quotations, enter a phrase to search for in the quotation, a whole or partial
author name, or both. Also specify the collections to search in below. See the
Search Instructions for details.
- I keep the subject of my inquiry constantly before me, and wait till the first dawning opens gradually, by little and little, into a full and clear light.
- Isaac Newton (1642 - 1727)
- A truly great book should be read in youth, again in maturity and once more in old age, as a fine building should be seen by morning light, at noon and by moonlight.
- Robertson Davies
- An epigram often flashes light into regions where reason shines but dimly.
- Edwin P. Whipple
- In the beginning there was nothing. God said, 'Let there be light!' And there was light. There was still nothing, but you could see it a whole lot better.
- Ellen DeGeneres, (attributed)
- Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering that she looks like a haddock.
- John Barrymore (1882 - 1942)
- The very first law in advertising is to avoid the concrete promise and cultivate the delightfully vague.
- Bill Cosby (1937 - )
- There are two kinds of light--the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
- James Thurber (1894 - 1961)
- If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
- Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001), "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
- I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming.
- Mitch Hedberg (1968 - 2005)
Can't find what you're looking for? Try browsing our list of quotations by subject..