Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- I believe in the forgiveness of sin and the redemption of ignorance.
- Adlai E. Stevenson Jr. (1900 - 1965), retort to a heckler asking him to state his beliefs, Time, November 1, 1963
- Not ignorance, but ignorance of ignorance, is the death of knowledge.
- Alfred North Whitehead (1861 - 1947)
- A person is never happy except at the price of some ignorance.
- Anatole France (1844 - 1924)
- Ignorance never settles a question.
- Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)
- To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.
- Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881), Sybil, 1845
- Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago.
- Bernard Berenson (1865 - 1959)
- A little learning is a dangerous thing but a lot of ignorance is just as bad.
- Bob Edwards
- Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star.
- Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)
- Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.
- Don Wood
- It is no good to try to stop knowledge from going forward. Ignorance is never better than knowledge.
- Enrico Fermi (1901 - 1954)
- Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known.
- Francis Jeffrey (1773 - 1850)
- I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him.
- Galileo Galilei (1564 - 1642)
- Ignorance gives one a large range of probabilities.
- George Eliot (1819 - 1880)
- It is better to confess ignorance than provide it.
- Homer Hickam, The Coalwood Way
- Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom.
- Hugo De Groot (1583 - 1645)
- If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
- Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)
- My whole career can be summed up with 'Ignorance is bliss.' When you do not know better, you do not really worry about failing.
- Jeff Foxworthy
- It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance; for it requires knowledge to perceive it and therefore he that can perceive it hath it not.
- Jeremy Taylor (1613 - 1667)
- Nothing is worse than active ignorance.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832)
- Ignorance and inconsideration are the two great causes of the ruin of mankind.
- John Tillotson (1630 - 1694)
- Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before.
- Kurt Vonnegut (1922 - 2007)
- Against logic there is no armor like ignorance.
- Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)
- All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), Letter to Mrs Foote, Dec. 2, 1887
- Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
- Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
- Martin Luther King Jr. (1929 - 1968), Strength to Love, 1963
- We allow our ignorance to prevail upon us and make us think we can survive alone, alone in patches, alone in groups, alone in races, even alone in genders.
- Maya Angelou (1928 - )
- It's innocence when it charms us, ignorance when it doesn't.
- Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook
- Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil.
- Plato (427 BC - 347 BC)
- Better be ignorant of a matter than half know it.
- Publilius Syrus (~100 BC), Maxims
- There are many things of which a wise man might wish to be ignorant.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)