Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- He removes the greatest ornament of friendship, who takes away from it respect.
- Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC)
- Respect yourself and others will respect you.
- Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)
- The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), "Man and Superman" (1903), act I
- Respect a man, he will do the more.
- James Howell
- Civilization is a method of living, an attitude of equal respect for all men.
- Jane Addams (1860 - 1935), Speech, Honolulu (1933)
- Loving yourself means caring enough to make the hard decisions in your life.
- Jennifer Hudson, I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down, 2012
- Self-respect is the cornerstone of all virtue.
- John Herschel (1792 - 1871)
- Some people have so much respect for their superiors they have none left for themselves.
- Peter McArthur
- If you want to be respected, you must respect yourself.
- Spanish Proverb
- The way to procure insults is to submit to them: a man meets with no more respect than he exacts.
- William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)
- That you may retain your self-respect, it is better to displease the people by doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what you know is wrong.
- William J. H. Boetcker