Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- To know a man, observe how he wins his object, rather than how he loses it; for when we fail our pride supports us; when we succeed, it betrays us.
- Charles Caleb Colton (1780 - 1832)
- Pride sullies the noblest character.
- When dealing with people, let us remember we are not dealing with creatures of logic. We are dealing with creatures of emotion, creatures bustling with prejudices and motivated by pride and vanity.
- Dale Carnegie
- The pride of youth is in strength and beauty, the pride of old age is in discretion.
- Democritus (460 BC - 370 BC)
- Be modest! It is the kind of pride least likely to offend.
- Jules Renard (1864 - 1910)
- Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need.
- Kahlil Gibran (1883 - 1931)
- To find yourself jilted is a blow to your pride. Do your best to forget it and if you don't succeed, at least pretend to.
- Moliere (1622 - 1673)
- Pride is a powerful narcotic, but it doesn't do much for the auto-immune system.
- Stuart Stevens, Northern Exposure, Brains, Know-How, and Native Intelligence, 1990
- The charity that hastens to proclaim its good deeds, ceases to be charity, and is only pride and ostentation.
- William Hutton