Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- You must pray that the way be long, full of adventures and experiences.
- Constantine Peter Cavafy
- Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
- Francis Cardinal Spellman (1889 - 1967)
- One single grateful thought raised to heaven is the most perfect prayer.
- G. E. Lessing (1729 - 1781)
- You can pray for someone even if you don't think God exists.
- Gordon Atkinson, RealLivePreacher.com Weblog, July 7, 2003
- Prayer indeed is good, but while calling on the gods a man should himself lend a hand.
- Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC), Regimen
- The time to pray is not when we are in a tight spot but just as soon as we get out of it.
- Josh Billings (1818 - 1885)
- You should pray for a sound mind in a sound body.
- Juvenal (55 AD - 127 AD), Satires
- If the only prayer you ever say in your whole life is "thank you," that would suffice.
- Meister Eckhart
- When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), An Ideal husband, 1893
- Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men. Do not pray for tasks equal to your powers. Pray for powers equal to your tasks. Then the doing of your work shall be no miracle, but you shall be the miracle.
- Phillips Brooks (1835 - 1893)
- There are more tears shed over answered prayers than over unanswered prayers.
- Saint Theresa of Jesus
- I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)