Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- It is in the character of very few men to honor without envy a friend who has prospered.
- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC), Agamemnon
- Our envy of others devours us most of all.
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn (1918 - )
- Such is the inconsistency of real love, that it is always awake to suspicion, however unreasonable; always requiring new assurances from the object of its interest.
- Ann Radcliffe (1764 - 1823), The Mysteries of Udolpho, 1764
- Do not envy a sinner; you don't know what disaster awaits him.
- Bible, Old Testament
- Jealousy is all the fun you think they had.
- Erica Jong, Fear of Flying, 1973
- Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
- H. G. Wells (1866 - 1946), The Wife of Sir Isaac Harman (1914)
- It is better to be envied than pitied.
- Herodotus (484 BC - 430 BC), The Histories of Herodotus
- I am completely in charge of the choices I make about what I am doing to lose weight and get healthy. And you know what? We all have this power. Donít be angry with me for something good Iíve done for myself. Be angry with yourself for not having the courage to do the same in your own life.
- Jennifer Hudson, I Got This: How I Changed My Ways and Lost What Weighed Me Down, 2012
- Papa said that I should never be jealous of another's marriage. Whatever joys I imagine them having are just my imaginings. The reality is far more complicated and vast.
- Laura Moncur (1969 - ), The Secret Heart of Charlotte Lucas, 2014
- Envy can be a positive motivator. Let it inspire you to work harder for what you want.
- Robert Bringle, quoted in Redbook
- They envy the distinction I have won; let them therefore, envy my toils, my honesty, and the methods by which I gained it.
- Sallust (86 BC - 34 BC)
- Envy is the ulcer of the soul.
- Socrates (469 BC - 399 BC)
- O, beware, my lord, of jealousy!
It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock
The meat it feeds on.
- William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616), "Othello", Act 3 scene 3