Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Do not be afraid of defeat. you are never so near victory as when defeated in a good cause
- Henry Ward Beecher (1813 - 1887)
- Exile, for no other motive than ease, would be the last defeat, with no seed of future victory in it.
- Lois McMaster Bujold, "Shards of Honor", 1986
- Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.
- Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948), 'Satyagraha Leaflet No. 13,' May 3, 1919
- There are some defeats more triumphant than victories.
- Michel de Montaigne (1533 - 1592)
- You can take from every experience what it has to offer you. And you cannot be defeated if you just keep taking one breath followed by another.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine, What I Know For Sure, January 2004
- When defeat is inevitable, it is wisest to yield.
- Be careful that victories do not carry the seed of future defeats.
- Ralph W. Sockman
- A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means.
- Sallust (86 BC - 34 BC), 'Jugurthine War,' 41 B.C.
- Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.
- Sun-tzu (~400 BC), The Art of War. Strategic Assessments
- Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
- Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)
- What is defeat? Nothing but education; nothing but the first step to something better.
- Wendell Phillips (1811 - 1884)