Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Civilization advances by extending the number of important operations which we can perform without thinking of them.
- Alfred North Whitehead (1861 - 1947)
- Civilization degrades the many to exalt the few.
- Amos Bronson Alcott (1799 - 1888), Table Talk (1877)
- When several villages are united in a single complete community, large enough to nearly or quite self-sufficing, the state comes into existence, originating in the bare needs of life, and continuing in existence for the sake of a good life.
- Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Politics, book 1, chapter 2
- Underlying the whole scheme of civilization is the confidence men have in each other, confidence in their integrity, confidence in their honesty, confidence in their future.
- Bourke Cockran
- The country only has charms for those not obliged to stay there.
- Edouard Manet (1832 - 1883)
- The history of man is a graveyard of great cultures that came to catastrophic ends because of their incapacity for planned, rational, voluntary reaction to challenge.
- Erich Fromm (1900 - 1980)
- We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945), Letter to Dr. William Allan Nielson, January 9, 1940
- Civilization is a race between education and catastrophe.
- H. G. Wells (1866 - 1946)
- The more rapidly a civilization progresses, the sooner it dies for another to rise in its place.
- Havelock Ellis (1859 - 1939), The Dance of Life
- It is better for civilization to be going down the drain than to be coming up it.
- Henry Allen
- But the greatest menace to our civilization today is the conflict between giant organized systems of self-righteousness-each system only too delighted to find that the other is wicked-each only too glad that the sins give it the pretext for still deeper hatred and animosity.
- Herbert Butterfield, Christianity, Diplomacy and War
- Civilization is a method of living, an attitude of equal respect for all men.
- Jane Addams (1860 - 1935), Speech, Honolulu (1933)
- Civilization is the art of living in towns of such size the everyone does not know everyone else.
- Julian Jaynes, "The Origin of Consciousness"
- Civilization is built on a number of ultimate principles...respect for human life, the punishment of crimes against property and persons, the equality of all good citizens before the law...or, in a word justice.
- Max Nordau (1849 - 1923)
- America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
- The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
- The true civilization is where every man gives to every other every right that he claims for himself.
- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
- Speech is civilization itself... It is silence which isolates.
- Thomas Mann (1875 - 1955)
- Civilization begins with order, grows with liberty, and dies with chaos.
- Will Durant (1885 - 1981)
- You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935), New York Times, Dec. 23, 1929
- One of the indictments of civilizations is that happiness and intelligence are so rarely found in the same person.
- William Feather (1908 - 1976)