Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Too many have dispensed with generosity in order to practice charity.
- Albert Camus (1913 - 1960)
- One of the serious obstacles to the improvement of our race is indiscriminate charity.
- Andrew Carnegie (1835 - 1919)
- Like threads of silver seen through crystal beads
Let love through good deeds show.
- Edwin Arnold
- The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity.
- Francis Maitland Balfour
- The living need charity more than the dead.
- George Arnold, The Jolly Old Pedagogue (1866)
- Charity sees the need not the cause.
- German Proverb
- A bone to the dog is not charity. Charity is the bone shared with the dog, when you are just as hungry as the dog.
- Jack London (1876 - 1916)
- In charity there is no excess.
- Sir Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626), Of Goodness, and Goodness of Nature (1625)
- Be charitable before wealth makes thee covetous.
- Sir Thomas Browne (1605 - 1682)
- Charity begins at home.
- Terence (185 BC - 159 BC), Andria
- The charity that hastens to proclaim its good deeds, ceases to be charity, and is only pride and ostentation.
- William Hutton