Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Men are not prisoners of fate, but only prisoners of their own minds.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945), Pan American Day address, April 15, 1939
- It's choice - not chance - that determines your destiny.
- Jean Nidetch
- Fortune can, for her pleasure, fools advance,
And toss them on the wheels of Chance.
- Juvenal (55 AD - 127 AD)
- The moments that we have with friends and family, the chances that we have to make a big difference in the world or even to make a small difference to the ones we love, all those wonderful chances that life gives us, life also takes away. It can happen fast and a whole lot sooner than you think.
- Larry Page, University of Michigan Commencement Address, 2009
- In the field of observation, chance favors only the prepared mind.
- Louis Pasteur (1822 - 1895), lecture 1854
- Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish.
- Ovid (43 BC - 17 AD)
- Work and acquire, and thou hast chained the wheel of Chance.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
- The sufferings that fate inflicts on us should be borne with patience, what enemies inflict with manly courage.
- Thucydides (471 BC - 400 BC)
- Destiny is no matter of chance. It is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.
- William Jennings Bryan (1860 - 1925)