Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- Talk of nothing but business, and dispatch that business quickly.
- Aldus Manutius (1449 - 1515), Placard on the door of the Aldine Press
- The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling.
- Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914), The Devil's Dictionary
- Drive thy business or it will drive thee.
- Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)
- The chief business of the American people is business.
- Calvin Coolidge (1872 - 1933), Speech in Washington, Jan. 17, 1925
- There is one person in charge of every office in America and that person is Charles Darwin.
- Charlie Grandy, The Office, Get the Girl, March 2012
- There's no business like show business, but there are several businesses like accounting.
- David Letterman (1947 - )
- In the modern world of business, it is useless to be a creative original thinker unless you can also sell what you create. Management cannot be expected to recognize a good idea unless it is presented to them by a good salesman.
- David M. Ogilvy
- Success in business requires training and discipline and hard work. But if you're not frightened by these things, the opportunities are just as great today as they ever were.
- David Rockefeller (1915 - )
- Hereís my theory about meetings and life; the three things you canít fake are erections, competence and creativity. Thatís why meetings become toxic they put uncreative people in a situation in which they have to be something they can never be. And the more effort they put into concealing their inabilities, the more toxic the meeting becomes. One of the most common creativity-faking tactics is when someone puts their hands in prayer position and conceals their mouth while they nod at you and say, 'Mmmmmm. Interesting.' If pressed, theyíll add, 'Iíll have to get back to you on that.' Then they donít say anything else.
- Douglas Coupland
- Charge less, but charge. Otherwise, you will not be taken seriously, and you do your fellow artists no favours if you undercut the market.
- Elizabeth Aston, The True Darcy Spirit, 2006
- 'Whom are you?' he asked, for he had attended business college.
- George Ade (1866 - 1944), "The Steel Box", 1898
- Good design can't fix broken business models.
- Jeffrey Veen, Designing the Friendly Skies, 06-21-06
- I find it rather easy to portray a businessman. Being bland, rather cruel and incompetent comes naturally to me.
- John Cleese (1939 - )
- You never really hear the truth from your subordinates until after 10 in the evening.
- Jurgen Schrempp, Former CEO of DaimlerChrysler
- The more I know about business, the more Iím convinced that it is conducted in homes and churches far more than in office buildings.
- Laura Moncur (1969 - ), Merriton, 09-17-08
- A dinner lubricates business.
- Lord William Stowell
- To succeed as a team is to hold all of the members accountable for their expertise.
- Mitchell Caplan, CEO, E*Trade Group Inc.
- My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people's.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892
- Business has only two basic functions-marketing and innovation.
- Peter Drucker (1909 - 2005)
- Letting your customers set your standards is a dangerous game, because the race to the bottom is pretty easy to win. Setting your own standards--and living up to them--is a better way to profit. Not to mention a better way to make your day worth all the effort you put into it.
- Seth Godin, Seth Godin's Blog, 07-28-06
- I ran the wrong kind of business, but I did it with integrity.
- Sydney Biddle Barrows, in Marian Christy, ''Mayflower Madam' Tells All,' Boston Globe, 1986
- Designing your product for monetization first, and people second will probably leave you with neither.
- Tara Hunt, HorsePigCow, 07-12-06
- No one travelling on a business trip would be missed if he failed to arrive.
- Thorstein Veblen (1857 - 1929)
- In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield.
- Warren Buffett (1930 - )