Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- It may make your blood boil and your mind may not be changed, but the practice of listening to opposing views is essential for effective citizenship. It is essential for our democracy.
- Barack Obama (1961 - ), University of Michigan Commencement, 2010
- The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life, acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man.
- Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC)
- We can be sure that the greatest hope for maintaining equilibrium in the face of any situation rests within ourselves.
- Francis J. Braceland, O Magazine, April 2003
- What I dream of is an art of balance.
- Henri Matisse (1869 - 1954), O Magazine, April 2003
- So divinely is the world organized that every one of us, in our place and time, is in balance with everything else.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749 - 1832)
- Order is not pressure which is imposed on society from without, but an equilibrium which is set up from within.
- Jose Ortega y Gasset (1883 - 1955)
- I've learned that you can't have everything and do everything at the same time.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine, April 2003