Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Subject
- When I took office, only high energy physicists had ever heard of what is called the Worldwide Web.... Now even my cat has its own page.
- Bill Clinton (1946 - ), announcement of Next Generation Internet initiative, 1996
- I sense an insatiable demand for connectivity. Maybe all these people have discovered important uses for the Internet. Perhaps some of them feel hungry for a community that our real neighborhoods don't deliver. At least a few must wonder what the big deal is.
- Clifford Stoll, Silicon Snake Oil, 1995
- It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that the Internet has evolved into a force strong enough to reflect the greatest hopes and fears of those who use it. After all, it was designed to withstand nuclear war, not just the puny huffs and puffs of politicians and religious fanatics.
- Denise Caruso, (digital commerce columnist, New York Times)
- The Internet is like alcohol in some sense. It accentuates what you would do anyway. If you want to be a loner, you can be more alone. If you want to connect, it makes it easier to connect.
- Esther Dyson, Interview in Time Magazine, October 2005
- My favorite thing about the Internet is that you get to go into the private world of real creeps without having to smell them.
- Penn Jillette (1955 - ), in a Compuserve chat
- I think the Internet is uniquely suited to this free market idea: that everyone on the Internet that exchanges the traffic back and forth, big or small, we all need each other.
- Pete Ashdown, Utah Geek Dinner Speech, 08-22-06
- On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
- Peter Steiner, cartoon in The New Yorker, July 5, 1993
- We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true.
- Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference
- If you ever start to feel too good about yourself, they have this thing called the Internet, and you can find a lot of people there who don't like you.
- Tina Fey, Golden Globes Acceptance Speech, 2009
- The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.
- William Gibson (1948 - )