Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
To search for quotations, enter a phrase to search for in the quotation, a whole or partial
author name, or both. Also specify the collections to search in below. See the
Search Instructions for details.
- Integrity combined with faithfulness is a powerful force and worthy of great respect.
- Gordon Atkinson, RealLivePreacher.com Weblog, January 27, 2003
- I've grown certain that the root of all fear is that we've been forced to deny who we are.
- Frances Moore Lappe, O Magazine, May 2004
- Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier.
- Colin Powell (1937 - )
- Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity. Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine, October 2002
- One of the joys we have in being human is in exercising our freedom to choose and to take each case as it comes to us. We are not robots who are forced into behaviors by their programming. We see things; we think about things; and we choose our course of action or beliefs appropriately. And as long as that remains true of us, we will live every day of our lives on one slippery slope or another. There is no reason to fear this.
- Gordon Atkinson, Real Live Preacher weblog, 03-23-06
- Everyone has a doctor in him or her; we just have to help it in its work. The natural healing force within each one of us is the greatest force in getting well. Our food should be our medicine. Our medicine should be our food. But to eat when you are sick, is to feed your sickness.
- Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC)
- My Father taught me how to be a man – and not by instilling in me a sense of machismo or an agenda of dominance. He taught me that a real man doesn’t take, he gives; he doesn’t use force, he uses logic; doesn’t play the role of trouble-maker, but rather, trouble-shooter; and most importantly, a real man is defined by what’s in his heart, not his pants.
- Kevin Smith, My Boring Ass Life, 06-01-05
- When the mind has once begun to yield to the weakness of superstition, trifles impress it with the force of conviction.
- Ann Radcliffe (1764 - 1823), The Mysteries of Udolpho, 1764
- I know starting careers in troubled times is a challenge, but it is also a privilege. Because it's moments like these that force us to try harder, dig deeper and to discover gifts we never knew we had. To find the greatness that lies within each of us. So don't ever shy away from that endeavor. Don't stop adding to your body of work. I can promise that you will be the better for that continued effort as will be this nation that we all love.
- Barack Obama (1961 - ), Arizona State Commencement Speech, 2009
- If we choose only to expose ourselves to opinions and viewpoints that are in line to our own, we become more polarized, more set in our own ways. It will only reinforce and deepen the political divides in our country. But if we choose to actively seek out information that challenges our assumptions and beliefs, perhaps we can begin to understand where the people who disagree with us are coming from.
- Barack Obama (1961 - ), University of Michigan Commencement, 2010
Can't find what you're looking for? Try browsing our list of quotations by subject..