Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
Quotations by Author
- The unexamined life is not worth living.
- Socrates, in Plato, Dialogues, Apology
- I do nothing but go about persuading you all, old and young alike, not to take thought for your persons or your properties, but and chiefly to care about the greatest improvement of the soul. I tell you that virtue is not given by money, but that from virtue comes money and every other good of man, public as well as private. This is my teaching, and if this is the doctrine which corrupts the youth, I am a mischievous person.
- Socrates, quoted by Plato, 'The Death of Socrates'
- The hour of departure has arrived, and we go our ways--I to die and you to live. Which is the better, only God knows.
- Socrates, Quoted in: Plato's Apology, sct. 42a. Last words of his speech to the court following the sentence of death imposed on him by the Athenians.
- 26 Quotations in other collections
- We have 2 book reviews related to Socrates.
Search for Socrates at Amazon.com