Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- If hunger makes you irritable, better eat and be pleasant.
- Sefer Hasidim
- Fear plays an interesting role in our lives. How dare we let it motivate us? How dare we let it into our decision making; into our livelihoods; into our relationships? It's funny isn't it? We take a day a year to dress up, in costume and celebrate fear.
- Greg Daniels, Carrie Kemper, Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant, The Office, Spooked, October 2011
- The world is full of women blindsided by the unceasing demands of motherhood, still flabbergasted by how a job can be terrific and torturous.
- Anna Quindlen (1953 - ), O Magazine, May 2003
- Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Where there is injury, pardon. Where there is doubt, faith.
- Saint Francis of Assisi (1181 - 1226)
- A lifetime is more than sufficiently long for people to get what there is of it wrong.
- Piet Hein (1905 - ), "Grooks"
- You're probably on the right track if you feel like a sidewalk worm during a rainstorm.
- Larry Page, University of Michigan Commencement Address, 2009
- A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world.
- Paul Dudley White
- You cannot be mad at somebody who makes you laugh - it's as simple as that.
- Jay Leno (1950 - ), O Magazine, February 2003
- Our own physical body possesses a wisdom which we who inhabit the body lack.
- Henry Miller (1891 - 1980)
- Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.
- G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
- The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.
- Joseph Conrad (1857 - 1924), Under Western Eyes, 1911
- Ritual is the way you carry the presence of the sacred. Ritual is the spark that must not go out.
- Christina Baldwin
- If we take care of the moments, the years will take care of themselves.
- Maria Edgeworth, O Magazine, April 2004
- The lessons this life has planted in my heart pertain more to caring than crops, more to Golden Rule than gold, more to the proper choice than to the popular choice.
- Kirby Larson, Hattie Big Sky, 2006
- I see my body as an instrument, rather than an ornament.
- Alanis Morissette (1974 - ), Reader's Digest, March 2000
- Traffic signals in New York are just rough guidelines.
- David Letterman (1947 - )
- I define joy as a sustained sense of well-being and internal peace - a connection to what matters.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine
- You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun.
- Al Capone (1899 - 1947)
- There is something that is much more scarce, something rarer than ability. It is the ability to recognize ability.
- Robert Half
- It's always been about the experience of life and of not being passive. If something so excites my curiosty, I want to go there, be a part of whatever it is that's either pushing me or pulling me toward it. That desire for experience has made me very rich in life experience.
- Tish Grier, love and hope and sex and dreams, 04-12-2006