Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- You have to have funny faces and words, you can't just have words. It is a powerful thing, and I think that's why it's hard for people to imagine that women can do that, be that powerful.
- Ellen DeGeneres, US Magazine, January 1995
- Anger is a signal, and one worth listening to.
- Harriet Lerner, The Dance of Anger, 1985
- Life is tough, and if you have the ability to laugh at it you have the ability to enjoy it.
- Salma Hayek
- If one morning I walked on top of the water across the Potomac River, the headline that afternoon would read "President Can't Swim".
- Lyndon B. Johnson (1908 - 1973)
- Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true.
- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970), Mysticism and Logic (1917) ch. 4
- The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
- Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk.
- Joaquin Setanti
- To succeed in the world it is not enough to be stupid, you must also be well-mannered.
- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)
- My pessimism extends to the point of even suspecting the sincerity of the pessimists.
- Jean Rostand (1894 - 1977), Journal of a Character, 1931
- Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future and time future contained in time past. If all time is eternally present all time is unredeemable.
- Swatch, Always Now, 1997
- I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?
- Jean Kerr
- It is wonderful how quickly you get used to things, even the most astonishing.
- Edith Nesbitt
- I believe that uncertainty is really my spirit's way of whispering, "I'm in flux. I can't decide for you. Something is off-balance here."
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine, June 2003
- Itís almost as if the way you imagine my dead self says more about you than it says about either the person I was or the whatever I am now.
- John Green, The Fault in Our Stars, 2012
- We change who we are to fit the exogenous of our time, and not just strategically or to our own advantage, sometimes sympathetically without our even knowing it for the betterment of the whole group.
- Meryl Streep (1949 - ), Barnard Commencement Speech, 2010
- The camera makes everyone a tourist in other people's reality, and eventually in one's own.
- Susan Sontag (1933 - 2004), New York Review of Books 18 Apr. 1974
- The painting has a life of its own. I try to let it come through.
- Jackson Pollock (1912 - 1956)
- Looks are part of business. A businessman should never stand out more than his customers. His mannerisms, his clothes, everything about him... Moderation is the key.
- Takayuki Ikkaku, Arisa Hosaka and Toshihiro Kawabata, Animal Crossing: Wild World, 2005
- That is the American story. People, just like you, following their passions, determined to meet the times on their own terms. They weren't doing it for the money. Their titles weren't fancy. But they changed the course of history and so can you.
- Barack Obama (1961 - ), Arizona State Commencement Speech, 2009
- This became a credo of mine...attempt the impossible in order to improve your work.
- Bette Davis (1908 - 1989)