Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- But the body is deeper than the soul and its secrets inscrutable.
- E. M. Forster (1879 - 1970)
- There is no such thing as "fun for the whole family."
- Jerry Seinfeld (1954 - )
- Fashion is something that goes in one year and out the other.
- The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.
- William H. Borah
- Success is meaningless if you can't sleep at night because of harsh things said, petty secrets sharpened against hard and stony regret, just waiting to be plunged into the soft underbelly of a 'friendship.'
- Margaret Cho, Margaret Cho's Weblog, 04-12-2006
- Death likes it when you play hard to get.
- Randy K. Milholland, Something Positive, 09-20-12
- Anger repressed can poison a relationship as surely as the cruelest words.
- Dr. Joyce Brothers (1928 - )
- It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got.
- Sheryl Crow, Soak Up The Sun
- Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a best-seller that could have been prevented by a good teacher.
- Flannery O'Connor (1925 - 1964)
- This is something that I do consider to be good advice: I took my first paycheck and I put it in the goddamn bank. Then I took my second paycheck and put it in the goddamn bank. I had seen the roller coaster of my father's career - top of the world, then unemployed - and I never wanted to take a job because I needed money.
- Joss Whedon, Entertainment Weekly, 08-30-13
- Breaking up isnít something that gets done to you; itís something that happens with you.
- John Green, An Abundance of Katherines, 2008
- Discretion is not the better part of biography.
- Lytton Strachey (1880 - 1932), in Michael Holroyd Lytton, Strachey vol. 1 (1967)
- The only paradise is paradise lost.
- Marcel Proust (1871 - 1922)
- Don't join the book burners. Don't think you're going to conceal faults by concealing evidence that they ever existed. Don't be afraid to go in your library and read every book...
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)
- This is why I loved technology: if you used it right, it could give you power and privacy.
- Cory Doctorow, Little Brother, 2008
- Nothing amuses me more than the easy manner with which everybody settles the abundance of those who have a great deal less than themselves.
- Jane Austen (1775 - 1817), Mansfield Park
- The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.
- F. Scott Fitzgerald (1896 - 1940), "The Crack-Up" (1936)
- Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.
- Mother Teresa (1910 - 1997)
- It was never what I wanted to buy that held my heart's hope. It was what I wanted to be.
- Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory", 1996
- People seem to enjoy things more when they know a lot of other people have been left out of the pleasure.
- Russell Baker (1925 - )