Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- If you don't know where you are going, you will probably end up somewhere else.
- Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)
- Keep on going and the chances are you will stumble on something, perhaps when you are least expecting it. I have never heard of anyone stumbling on something sitting down.
- Charles F. Kettering (1876 - 1958)
- The good or ill of a man lies within his own will.
- Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD)
- We forfeit three-fourths of ourselves in order to be like other people.
- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)
- Silence is one of the great arts of conversation, as allowed by Cicero himself, who says, 'there is not only an art, but an eloquence in it.' A well bred woman may easily and effectually promote the most useful and elegant conversation without speaking a word. The modes of speech are scarcely more variable than the modes of silence.
- Tom Blair
- A life lived in chaos is an impossibility...
- Madeleine L'Engle (1918 - )
- Flying may not be all plain sailing, but the fun of it is worth the price.
- Amelia Earhart (1897 - 1937)
- Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in and out of favor.
- Robert Frost (1874 - 1963), The Black Cottage
- Lawyers spend a great deal of their time shoveling smoke.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. (1841 - 1935)
- The best effect of fine persons is felt after we have left their presence.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882), Journals, 1839
- It's kind of fun to do the impossible.
- Walt Disney (1901 - 1966)
- We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails.
- Bertha Calloway
- On the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.
- George Orwell (1903 - 1950)
- I never cease being dumbfounded by the unbelievable things people believe.
- Leo Rosten (1908 - )
- He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)
- On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)
- I've always found paranoia to be a perfectly defensible position.
- Pat Conroy (1945 - )
- A husband is like a fire, he goes out when unattended.
- Evan Esar (1899 - 1995)
- That's the thing about being a former fat camp champ: when asked if I'd change my past if I could, I always answer no. The pain of being an overweight kid, the humiliation, make you think twice before ever cutting anyone else down.
- Stephanie Klein, Moose, 2008
- MTV is the lava lamp of the 1980's.
- Doug Ferrari