Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), in Good Housekeeping
- Oh, what a dear ravishing thing is the beginning of an Amour!
- Aphra Behn
- I was brought up to believe that the only thing worth doing was to add to the sum of accurate information in the world.
- Margaret Mead (1901 - 1978)
- Achievement is largely the product of steadily raising one's levels of aspiration and expectation.
- Jack Nicklaus (1940 - ), 'My Story'
- It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled sea of thought.
- John Kenneth Galbraith (1908 - 2006)
- You threaten to punch someone in the face, what do they do? They duck. You try to punch 'em in the wallet and they always open up.
- Howard Gordon and Evan Katz, Awake, Ricky's Tacos, April 2012
- Originality is the fine art of remembering what you hear but forgetting where you heard it.
- Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)
- Natural ability without education has more often attained to glory and virtue than education without natural ability.
- Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC)
- Choosing to live in narrow spaces leads to form of mental agoraphobia and that brings its own terrors. I think the willfully unimaginative see more monsters, they are often more afraid. What is more, those who choose not to empathize enable real monsters. For without ever committing an act of outright evil ourselves, we collude through our own apathy.
- J. K. Rowling, Harvard Commencement Address, 2008
- It has been my experience that maximizing income is a helluva lot less important than maximizing passion and fulfillment in your both professionally and personally.
- John Green, Vlogbrothers, Is College Worth It?, 08-21-12
- Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.
- Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
- It is better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret.
- Jackie Joyner-Kersee (1962 - )
- Even he, to whom most things that most people would think were pretty smart were pretty dumb, thought it was pretty smart.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001), The Salmon of Doubt, p. 205
- Everyone wants to be Cary Grant. Even I want to be Cary Grant.
- Cary Grant (1904 - 1986)
- There used to be a real me, but I had it surgically removed.
- Peter Sellers (1925 - 1980)
- The really potent part of love is that it allows you to carry around beliefs about yourself that make you feel special, desirable, precious, innately good. Your lover couldn't have seen [these qualities] in you, even temporarily, if they weren't part of your essential being.
- Martha Beck, O Magazine, February 2003
- If you have the opportunity to play this game of life you need to appreciate every moment. A lot of people don`t appreciate the moment until it's passed.
- Kanye West
- If you have great talents, industry will improve them; if you have but moderate abilities, industry will supply their deficiency.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723 - 1792)
- Conceal a flaw, and the world will imagine the worst.
- Marcus Valerius Martialis (40 AD - 103 AD)
- My method is to take the utmost trouble to find the right thing to say, and then to say it with the utmost levity.
- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), "Answers to Nine Questions"