Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- Good taste is the worst vice ever invented.
- Edith Sitwell (1887 - 1964)
- Many men can make a fortune but very few can build a family.
- J. S. Bryan
- Do not fall prey to the false belief that mastery and domination are synonymous with manliness.
- Kent Nerburn
- You are not superior just because you see the world in an odious light.
- Vicomte de Chateaubriand (1768 - 1848)
- When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
- Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)
- Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not bear serious examination is false wit.
- Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)
- Your best shot at happiness, self-worth and personal satisfaction - the things that constitute real success - is not in earning as much as you can but in performing as well as you can something that you consider worthwhile.
- William Raspberry
- Happiness: a good bank account, a good cook and a good digestion.
- Jean Jacques Rousseau (1712 - 1778)
- Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.
- Judy Garland (1922 - 1969), to her daughter, Liza Minelli
- In this new, hyper competitive age, none of us, none of us can afford to be complacent.
- Barack Obama (1961 - ), Arizona State Commencement Speech, 2009
- There is no nonsense so gross that society will not, at some time, make a doctrine of it and defend it with every weapon of communal stupidity.
- Robertson Davies
- Whoever gossips to you will gossip about you.
- Spanish Proverb
- Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra (1925 - )
- Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
- Jules de Gaultier
- One person can have a profound effect on another. And two people...well, two people can work miracles. They can change a whole town. They can change the world.
- Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, Cicely, 1992
- Where is there dignity unless there is honesty?
- Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC)
- Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.
- Steve Jobs (1955 - 2011)
- Sometimes what's right isn't as important as what's profitable.
- Trey Parker and Matt Stone, South Park, Prehistoric Ice Man, 1999
- It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
- Honesty is the best image.
- Tom Wilson, Ziggy (comic)