Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- Another unsettling element in modern art is that common symptom of immaturity, the dread of doing what has been done before.
- Edith Wharton (1862 - 1937)
- Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine
- Propriety was a rigid master, but one that must be obeyed if one wanted to keep a sterling reputation.
- Lawana Blackwell, The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter, 1998
- It's harder to make something good when you can't curse all the time.
- Tina Fey, Max 60 Seconds, 2008
- I honestly don't know how you live without having a cat inside your house. It's like having a little living piece of art that is also very warm and soft.
- Hank Green, Vlogbrothers, Cat GIF Critique, 04-26-13
- A husband is like a fire, he goes out when unattended.
- Evan Esar (1899 - 1995)
- Irrationally held truths may be more harmful than reasoned errors.
- Thomas H. Huxley (1825 - 1895)
- Every day we do things, we are things that have to do with peace. If we are aware of our life..., our way of looking at things, we will know how to make peace right in the moment, we are alive.
- Thich Nhat Hanh
- Neurotics build castles in the air, psychotics live in them. My mother cleans them.
- Rita Rudner
- How could it be? She watched, observed, reflected, and finally determined that this was not a case of fortitude or of resignation only. A submissive spirit might be patient, a strong understanding would supply resolution, but here was something more; here was that elasticity of mind, that disposition to be comforted, that power of turning readily from evil to good, and of finding employment which carried her out of herself, which was from nature alone. It was the choicest gift of Heaven.
- Jane Austen (1775 - 1817), Persuasion, 1818
- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook, The Wizardry Compiled
- When the conduct of men is designed to be influenced, persuasion, kind unassuming persuasion, should ever be adopted. It is an old and true maxim that 'a drop of honey catches more flies than a gallon of gall.' So with men. If you would win a man to your cause, first convince him that you are his sincere friend. Therein is a drop of honey that catches his heart, which, say what he will, is the great highroad to his reason, and which, once gained, you will find but little trouble in convincing him of the justice of your cause, if indeed that cause is really a good one.
- Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
- Say what you will about the Ten Commandments, you must always come back to the pleasant fact that there are only ten of them.
- H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
- Man is the only animal that can remain on friendly terms with the victims he intends to eat until he eats them.
- Samuel Butler (1835 - 1902)
- It is impossible to experience one's death objectively and still carry a tune.
- Woody Allen (1935 - )
- I would rather try to persuade a man to go along, because once I have persuaded him he will stick. If I scare him, he will stay just as long as he is scared, and then he is gone.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)
- She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B.
- Dorothy Parker (1893 - 1967), speaking of Katharine Hepburn
- Everybody is too busy with their own lives to give a damn about your book, painting, screenplay etc, especially if you haven't sold it yet. And the ones that aren't, you don't want in your life anyway.
- Hugh Macleod, How To Be Creative: 22. Nobody cares. Do it for yourself., 08-22-04
- What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death.
- Dave Barry (1947 - )
- Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.
- Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC)