Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- Each painting has its own way of evolving...When the painting is finished, the subject reaveals itself.
- William Baziotes
- Recommend to your children virtue; that alone can make them happy, not gold.
- Ludwig van Beethoven (1770 - 1827)
- It's sad when our daddies die. Makes us one less person inside.
- Pamela Ribon, Why Girls Are Weird, 2003
- When you have the courage to tell the truth about what you're really afraid of, fear doesn't have control over your life.
- Ali Vincent, Believe It, Be It: How Being the Biggest Loser Won Me Back My Life, 2009
- Trust men and they will be true to you; treat them greatly, and they will show themselves great.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882), Essays, First Series: Prudence, 1841
- If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way.
- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
- Age is not a particularly interesting subject. Anyone can get old. All you have to do is live long enough.
- Groucho Marx (1890 - 1977)
- The significance of man is that he is insignificant and is aware of it.
- Carl Becker
- That you may retain your self-respect, it is better to displease the people by doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what you know is wrong.
- William J. H. Boetcker
- There's always one who loves and one who lets himself be loved.
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965), 'Of Human Bondage', 1915
- Make visible what, without you, might perhaps never have been seen.
- Robert Bresson
- Breaking up isnít something that gets done to you; itís something that happens with you.
- John Green, An Abundance of Katherines, 2008
- Intimacy is being seen and known as the person you truly are.
- Amy Bloom
- Never try to tell everything you know. It may take too short a time.
- Norman Ford
- I have seen a peaceful expression turn to anger as fast as a whip cracks, and so the look on the face might mean less than what it seems to be.
- Erica Eisdorfer, The Wet Nurse's Tale, 2009
- People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one.
- Leo J. Burke
- Charm is a way of getting the answer yes without asking a clear question.
- Albert Camus (1913 - 1960)
- Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
- So much of what we call management consists in making it difficult for people to work.
- Peter Drucker (1909 - 2005)
- Life is difficult and complicated and beyond anyone's total control, and the humility to know that will enable you to survive its vicissitudes.
- J. K. Rowling, Harvard Commencement Address, 2008