Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- My definition of an expert in any field is a person who knows enough about what's really going on to be scared.
- P. J. Plauger, Computer Language, March 1983
- Take rest; a field that has rested gives a bountiful crop.
- Ovid (43 BC - 17 AD)
- People who learn to control inner experience will be able to determine the quality of their lives, which is as close as any of us can come to being happy.
- Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, 1990
- Your idea doesn't have to be big. It just has to be yours alone. The more the idea is yours alone, the more freedom you have to do something really amazing. The more amazing, the more people will click with your idea. The more people click with your idea, the more it will change the world.
- Hugh Macleod, How To Be Creative: 2, 08-22-04
- It's so much easier to write a resume than to craft a spirit.
- Anna Quindlen (1953 - ), A Short Guide to a Happy Life, 2000
- Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life.
- Bertolt Brecht (1898 - 1956), The Mother, 1932
- Saying goodbye doesn't mean anything. It's the time we spent together that matters, not how we left it.
- Trey Parker and Matt Stone, South Park, Tweek Vs. Craig, 1999
- If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer.
- Alfred North Whitehead (1861 - 1947)
- I am looking for a lot of men who have an infinite capacity to not know what can't be done.
- Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)
- When we die, no one remembers us for what we weighed. Our weight isn't etched into our headstones.
- Stephanie Klein, Moose, 2008
- Worry a little bit every day and in a lifetime you will lose a couple of years. If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry. Worry never fixes anything.
- Mary Hemingway
- Boys will be boys, and so will a lot of middle-aged men.
- Kin Hubbard (1868 - 1930)
- I once read cooking is something you do for your family. But when you’re alone you sometimes have to treat yourself like family. And now that my apartment’s redolent with the smell of food it feels more like a home than a box where I hang my hat.
- Waiter Rant, Waiter Rant, 01-10-10
- Actions lie louder than words.
- Carolyn Wells
- Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose.
- Dan McKinnon
- That's the thing about needs. Sometimes, when you get them met, you don't need them anymore.
- Michael Patrick King, Sex and the City, The Good Fight, 2002
- Never give a child a sword.
- Latin Proverb
- Neither enemy faces, nor the mothers that love them, come to mind when one is thinking of nothing but endeavouring to survive. Philosophising about war is useless under fire.
- Linda Berdoll, Mr. Darcy Takes A Wife, 2004
- I don't confuse greatness with perfection. To be great anyhow is…the higher achievement.
- Lois McMaster Bujold, "Mirror Dance", 1994
- When you are not physically starving, you have the luxury to realize psychic and emotional starvation.
- Cherrie Moraga