Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- Do not be afraid of defeat. you are never so near victory as when defeated in a good cause
- Henry Ward Beecher (1813 - 1887)
- To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.
- Joseph Chilton Pearce
- The real distinction is between those who adapt their purposes to reality and those who seek to mold reality in the light of their purposes.
- Henry Kissinger (1923 - )
- They say dreams are the windows of the soul--take a peek and you can see the inner workings, the nuts and bolts.
- Henry Bromel, Northern Exposure, The Big Kiss, 1991
- When you point your finger at someone, three fingers are pointing back at you.
- Life was mostly made up of things you couldn't control, full of surprises, and they weren't always good. Life wasn't what you made it. You were what life made you.
- Sara Zarr, Sweehearts, 2008
- I've gone into hundreds of [fortune-teller's parlors], and have been told thousands of things, but nobody ever told me I was a policewoman getting ready to arrest her.
- New York City detective
- Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact.
- George Eliot (1819 - 1880)
- Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.
- Cyril Connolly (1903 - 1974)
- Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
- Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)
- Laughing at our mistakes can lengthen our own life. Laughing at someone else's can shorten it.
- Cullen Hightower
- There's a rule in acting called, "Don't play the result." If you have a character who's going to end up in a certain place, don't play that until you get there. Play each scene and each beat as it comes. And that's what you do in life: You don't play the result.
- Michael J. Fox (1961 - ), Good Housekeeping, June 2011
- I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
- E. B. White (1899 - 1985)
- Arranging a bowl of flowers in the morning can give a sense of quiet in a crowded day - like writing a poem, or saying a prayer.
- Anne Morrow Lindbergh
- A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of.
- Ogden Nash (1902 - 1971)
- We have an opportunity for everyone in the world to have access to all the world's information. This has never before been possible. Why is ubiquitous information so profound? It's a tremendous equalizer. Information is power.
- Eric Schmidt, University of Pennsylvania Commencement Address, 2009
- Shut out all of your past except that which will help you weather your tomorrows.
- Sir William Osler (1849 - 1919)
- It seems to me that people have vast potential. Most people can do extraordinary things if they have the confidence or take the risks. Yet most people don't. They sit in front of the telly and treat life as if it goes on forever.
- Philip Adams
- The fact that a great many people believe something is no guarantee of its truth.
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965), The Razor's Edge, 1943
- Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)