Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- If I have lost confidence in myself, I have the universe against me.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
- Don't rule out working with your hands. It does not preclude using your head.
- Andy Rooney (1919 - )
- You can't say that civilization don't advance, however, for in every war they kill you in a new way.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935), New York Times, Dec. 23, 1929
- Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don't believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art's sake.
- E. M. Forster (1879 - 1970)
- Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks!
- Takayuki Ikkaku, Arisa Hosaka and Toshihiro Kawabata, Animal Crossing: Wild World, 2005
- To the soul, there is hardly anything more healing than friendship.
- Thomas Moore (1779 - 1852)
- The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.
- Thomas Szasz, The Second Sin (1973) "Personal Conduct"
- Actions lie louder than words.
- Carolyn Wells
- Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work.
- Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)
- Outer space is no place for a person of breeding.
- Lady Violet Bonham Carter (1887 - 1969)
- When someone does something good, applaud! You will make two people happy.
- Samuel Goldwyn (1882 - 1974)
- A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.
- Burt Bacharach (1928 - )
- We cannot destroy kindred: Our chains stretch a little sometimes, but they never break.
- Marie de Rabutin-Chantal
- The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today. Let us move forward with strong and active faith.
- Franklin D. Roosevelt (1882 - 1945)
- There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart.
- Celia Thaxter
- We can't take any credit for our talents. It's how we use them that counts.
- Madeleine L'Engle (1918 - )
- You just have to start putting one foot in front of the other, making an effort to get healthy every day.
- Ali Vincent, Believe It, Be It: How Being the Biggest Loser Won Me Back My Life, 2009
- Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
- Leo Rosten (1908 - )
- A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror.
- Ken Keyes Jr., Handbook of Higher Consciousness
- Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)