Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
- We are all born with wonderful gifts. We use these gifts to express ourselves, to amuse, to strengthen, and to communicate. We begin as children to explore and develop our talents, often unaware that we are unique, that not everyone can do what we're doing!
- Lynn Johnston (1947 - ), Lynn on Ideas
- No degree of dullness can safeguard a work against the determination of critics to find it fascinating.
- Harold Rosenberg
- Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better.
- Emile Coue (1857 - 1926)
- Although golf was originally restricted to wealthy, overweight Protestants, today it's open to anybody who owns hideous clothing.
- Dave Barry (1947 - )
- Slight not what's near, while aiming at what's far.
- Euripides (484 BC - 406 BC), 'Rhesus'
- I haven't the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
- David Sedaris
- If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough
- Mario Andretti (1940 - )
- Three failures denote uncommon strength. A weakling has not enough grit to fail thrice.
- Minna Thomas Antrim
- The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
- Larry Hardiman
- Everyone in the world was programmed by the place they were born, hemmed in by their beliefs, but you had to at least try to grow your own brain
- Scott Westerfeld, Pretties, 2005
- Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
- Franklin P. Jones
- You have no control over what the other guy does. You only have control over what you do.
- A. J. Kitt
- If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself, but to your estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.
- Marcus Aurelius Antoninus (121 AD - 180 AD)
- Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes, and dance.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), O Magazine, February 2003
- I feel good about taking things to Goodwill and actually, I do like shopping at Goodwill. It's so cheap that it feels like a library where I am just checking things out for awhile until I decide to take them back.
- April Foiles
- If the point is sharp, and the arrow is swift, it can pierce through the dust no matter how thick.
- Bob Dylan (1941 - )
- Youth isn't always all it's touted to be.
- Lawana Blackwell, The Dowry of Miss Lydia Clark, 1999
- Nothing’s better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you.
- Aaron Douglas Trimble
- You must have a room, or a certain hour or so a day, where you don't know what was in the newspapers that morning... a place where you can simply experience and bring forth what you are and what you might be.
- Joseph Campbell (1904 - 1987)