Read books online
at our other site:
The Literature Page
The following quotations were randomly selected from the collections selected below .
- Partying is such sweet sorrow.
- Robert Byrne
- This is my answer to the gap between ideas and action - I will write it out.
- Hortense Calisher
- The crowd gives the leader new strength.
- Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper.
- Adelle Davis (1904 - 1974)
- Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)
- Nobody speaks the truth when there's something they must have.
- Elizabeth Bowen (1899 - 1973)
- Holding on to anger, resentment and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life.
- Joan Lunden, in Healthy Living Magazine
- She knows what is the best purpose of education: not to be frightened by the best but to treat it as part of daily life.
- John Mason Brown (1900 - 1969)
- Underneath this flabby exterior is an enormous lack of character.
- Oscar Levant (1906 - 1972)
- My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not signed.
- Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957)
- Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), Lady Windermere's Fan, 1892, Act I
- It is an illusion that youth is happy, an illusion of those who have lost it; but the young know they are wretched for they are full of the truthless ideal which have been instilled into them, and each time they come in contact with the real, they are bruised and wounded.
- W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965), 'Of Human Bondage', 1915
- Maybe I want strangers to think Iím cool since people who actually know me donít.
- John Green, An Abundance of Katherines, 2008
- Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work.
- H. L. Hunt
- I have seen a peaceful expression turn to anger as fast as a whip cracks, and so the look on the face might mean less than what it seems to be.
- Erica Eisdorfer, The Wet Nurse's Tale, 2009
- Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)
- Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student.
- George Iles
- I think that when you invite people to your home, you invite them to yourself.
- Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), 20th Anniversary DVD
- A finished person is a boring person.
- Anna Quindlen (1953 - )
- We try to grab pieces of our lives as they speed past us. Photographs freeze those pieces and help us remember how we were. We don't know these lost people but if you look around, you'll find someone just like them.
- Gene McSweeney, Grey Water Photography, 06-04-2006