September 20th, 2000 by Michael Moncur in Site News
I’ve replaced the external (LinkBank) links page with an internal, homemade version. This should respond a bit faster and looks a bit better, but is otherwise identical. Please Let us know if it behaves strangely or if any links are missing. (This is not the major addition I was talking about. It’s coming tomorrow.)
September 19th, 2000 by Michael Moncur in Site News
I’ve added about 200 quotations to the Michael Moncur collection (the source of the Quotes of the Day). Stay tuned for a major addition in the next day or two.
September 14th, 2000 by Michael Moncur in Site News
If you are seeing this page for the first time, welcome! This is the new site for The Quotations Page,
and the old site has been redirected here. All of the pages you're familiar with are still available from
the navigation bar on the left. Please change your bookmarks to the new permanent URL.
September 5th, 2000 by Michael Moncur in Site News
As we are completing our transition to the new site, many of you have sent
comments and questions. I thought I would take a moment to answer
some of the most common questions.
(These questions are all paraphrased from emails I have received; most have been asked by two
or more people. I am not including contact information from the emails for the sake of users’ privacy.)
- What happened to the “Number of Quotes” option on the Random Quotations page?
- I didn’t include this option in the new site to simplify things, as I wasn’t sure if anyone
used it. Now I know better – the Number of Quotes option will be added by September 15th for the final
rollout of the new page.
UPDATE: As of 9/6/2000, this has been fixed.
- The page is too wide for my screen. Is there a way to prevent this?
- I’m currently working on ways of making the layout resolution-independent, both to display
in a more narrow fashion for small screens, and to take advantage of the space on larger screens.
This should be done shortly after the rollout.
- What’s with the occasional repeated quotes on the Quotes of the Day and Random pages?
- Apparently my random quotations aren’t quite random enough. This was actually possible on the old site too,
but it seems to happen more with the new one. I will be fixing the problem by the 15th.
UPDATE: As of 10/20/2000, this has been fixed.
- I read the Quotes of the Day regularly using AvantGo. Will this still be supported?
- Actually, I didn’t have anything to do with AvantGo’s support for my site; apparently a
user set that up. But I will be developing specifically for AvantGo and making sure it works
later this month. Please Contact Me if you’re an AvantGo user, as I could
use a few beta testers for this feature.
UPDATE: The AvantGo pages are ready. Follow the links at the bottom of the Quotes of the Day
and Motivational Quotes pages to set up the AvantGo channels.
- What happened to the Steven Wright, Dave Barry and Jack Handey collections on the Random and
- I’ve made the difficult decision to discontinue these for now for legal reasons. While I love these collections,
the fact that they’re single-author collections (and the Dave Barry one contains very large passages from his articles)
make them a lawsuit waiting to happen. I’m looking into legal ways of including these and other collections soon -
By the way, we’re adding several collections to make up for the loss, beginning with the Classic
Collection, which will be up by September 15th.
- Have you considered adding an index by subject or by author?
- An index by author is coming soon. Subjects are more difficult, as we have to classify every
quote, but we are working on this too.
UPDATE: As of 12/10/2000, the Author Index is now online.
Once again, I’d like to thank everyone who has sent comments about the new site. If you have
comments, please use the Forum – which isn’t getting much traffic yet
- or for more private comments, Send us email.
August 27th, 2000 by Michael Moncur in Site News
I am in the process of implementing a new layout on the pages which looks nearly identical,
but eliminates some unnecessary download time and eliminates the annoying horizontal
scroll bars. Please <a href="mail.php3?button=Send%20us%20Email">leave a note</a>
if you experience any browser errors or if anything looks strange.