I started real estate school this week, so I have less time for this page than usual, but it brings to mind the activity of learning. For so many of my peers, this enjoyment is lost. Learning new concepts and ideas is difficult and scary. That is the thing I feared about being a “grown-up” more than anything in the world. I didn’t want my mind to rot.
Fortunately, I’ve been blessed by the insatiable thirst for knowledge. I will never be old and decrepit as long as I am able to find something new and interesting to learn about. I never want to be like the old ladies who never use their microwave oven because they are scared of it. No matter what sort of Future Shock that may come my way, I want to learn about it.
Here are some quotes to illustrate my emotions.
Introduction and quote compilation by Laura S. Moncur, Staff Writer.
- “The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,/ And all the sweet serenity of books.”
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, “Morituri Salutamus,” 1875
- Future Shock Paperback by Alvin Toffler – This book, originally published in 1970, described the phenomenon of technological change and how it affects humans. Sounds boring? Just read the Reviews and Commentary section on this book and you’ll get an idea of how heated the discussion is.
- The Adult Student’s Guide to Survival & Success Paperback by Al Siebert, Bernadine Gilpin – Not sold on the joys of learning after you receive your diploma? Check out this book that helps you rid yourself of the fears of returning to school after the absence we call life.
- Back in School : A Guide for Adult Learners Paperback by Charles J. Shields – Yet another book to help you through this process of re-training yourself for study, learning and knowledge. The more you learn about learning, the less fear you will have.
- Yahoo Adult and Continuing Education – Inspired to go back to school? DO IT! Here are some institutions that provide education specifically for adults! Don’t wait one more day, or you’ll regret it.