This week marks the birthday of Will Rogers. He’s been called the Cowboy Philosopher, but I never thought of him in that manner. My earliest recollection of anything to do with this hilarious man dealt primarily with the newspaper. His written word was a daily feature in my hometown newspaper. I remember reading his columns and loving every word, never knowing that he had died long before I was ever born. It’s amazing how well his work stands today.
It wasn’t until I had read his column for over a year that I noticed inconsistencies. When I highlighted them to my mom, she laughed heartily, replying that the commentaries that I had been reading were reprints. She pointed to a sentence above his picture that gave the original date in which it ran. I felt silly, of course, but that was just the first in a long line of silliness to come.
The following are a few of the many quotes from William Rogers. Enjoy!
Introduction and quote compilation by Laura S. Moncur, Staff Writer.
- “Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.”
- Illiterate Digest (1924),
For more information about Will Rogers, try these links:
- More Will Rogers’ Quotes – From the Quote Search page
- The following books and tapes are available through Amazon.com:
- The Will Rogers Home Page – Southwestern Bell presents biographies of Will Rogers and his wife, Betty Blake Rogers.
- J.Ellen Cotton’s Will Rogers Page – A concise biography and even more quotes from Will Rogers