Articles and Features
High School Reunions and Friendship
Week of 11/16/97
Last week I attended my ten year high school reunion. After saying that I wouldn't go,
I went. I had fully decided that when the invitation came, I would return the information
sheet, but, regretfully, not attend. But when the envelope arrived and the information
sheet was completed, I paid the fee to go. I knew instantly that there were people I
wanted to see, so I made a list of their names and awaited the day.
Although I was apprehensive about former enemies, I was not nearly as scared as a few
of my colleagues. Their feelings ranged from worrying about their physical safety to
the desire to show off their improved wealth, appearance, or fame. For them, the
evening was safer than they expected. Most of the bullies and bitches didn't attend,
and the few that did, were strangely docile.
Almost all of the people I wished to see were there. I reproached myself for not
keeping in touch with these people, but I was very happy to have found them
again. We could start anew. I gathered addresses and made promises about lunches
Seeing the face of a dear friend after being separated for ten years is an odd
feeling. I wish I could describe the combination of regret and joy. Instead, I
can only recommend the following quotes.
Introduction and quote compilation by Laura S. Moncur, Staff Writer.
For more information about High School Reunions and Friendship, try these links:
- "A friend is someone who will help you move. A real friend is someone who will help you move a body."
- "True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost."
- Charles Caleb Colton
- "Remember, the greatest gift is not found in a store nor under a tree, but in the hearts of true friends."
- Cindy Lew
- "Don't be dismayed at good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends."
- Richard Bach
- "False friendship, like the ivy, decays and ruins the walls it embraces; but true friendship gives new life and animation to the object it supports."
- Richard Burton
- "I keep my friends as misers do their treasure, because, of all the things granted us by wisdom, none is greater or better than friendship."
- Pietro Aretino, letter to Giovanni Pollastra, July 7, 1537
- "Old friends, we say, are best, when some sudden disillusionment shakes our faith in a new comrade."
- Gelett Burgess, "Old Friends and New," 1916
- "No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth."
- Robert Southey
Yahoo's High School Reunion Pages - Find your high school reunion page (mine
wasn't there, so this may be only helpful to a few). Most pages include forms to
enter your information, some merely contain e-mail addresses. You too can enjoy the
bliss of finding old friends.
- The following books and tapes are available through Amazon.com:
- The Friendship Quote Page - A huge collection of quotes regarding friendship, both positive and negative.
- The Friendship Page - Links to pages related to friendship. Find an e-mail friend or just read some friendship poetry. You'll be sick of the word friend by the time you finish with this page.