To search for quotations, enter a phrase to search for in the quotation, a whole or partial
author name, or both. Also specify the collections to search in below. See the
Search Instructions for details.
- People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built.
- Eleanor Roosevelt (1884 - 1962), My Day
- That which you call your soul or spirit is your consciousness, and that which you call 'free will' is your mind's freedom to think or not, the only will you have, your only freedom, the choice that controls all the choices you make and determines your life and your character.
- Ayn Rand (1905 - 1982), Atlas Shrugged
- Our character...is an omen of our destiny, and the more integrity we have and keep, the simpler and nobler that destiny is likely to be.
- George Santayana (1863 - 1952), "The German Mind: A Philosophical Diagnosis"
- The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way.
- Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862)
- The strength of the United States is not the gold at Fort Knox or the weapons of mass destruction that we have, but the sum total of the education and the character of our people.
- Claiborne Pell (1918 - )
- Unique among the nations, America recognized the source of our character as being godly and eternal, not being civic and temporal. And because we have understood that our source is eternal, America has been different. We have no king but Jesus.
- John Ashcroft (1942 - )
- Freedom and independence form my character.
- Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (1881 - 1938), Founder of modern Turkey 24.04.1921
- A man has no more character than he can command in a time of crisis.
- A man of character in peace is a man of courage in war.
- Sir James Glover
- A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
- Theodore Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)
Can't find what you're looking for? Try browsing our list of quotations by subject..