Quotes of the Day
Selected from Michael Moncur's Collection of Quotations - November 19, 2012
- It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them.
- Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), Following the Equator (1897)
- You don't have to suffer to be a poet; adolescence is enough suffering for anyone.
- John Ciardi (1916 - 1986)
- Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don't believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art's sake.
- E. M. Forster (1879 - 1970)
- Exercise relieves stress. Nothing relieves exercise.
- Takayuki Ikkaku, Arisa Hosaka and Toshihiro Kawabata, Animal Crossing: Wild World, 2005
If an author's name is highlighted, you can click it for more quotations by
that author. Click on a quotation for more information about it, or click on the icons next to each quotation:
- View further information about the quote or link to it on its own page
- Email the quotation to yourself, or to a friend
- View notes about the quotation
Note: These quotes are randomly selected from my collection by an
automatic routine once a day. If you want more quotes, try the Quotations by Author page to
browse our entire collection, or try the Random Quotations Page,
which chooses new quotes each time you load it.