Quotes of the Day
Selected from Michael Moncur's Collection of Quotations - November 14, 2012
- I suppose that I shall have to die beyond my means.
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), upon being told the cost of an operation
- The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
- Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
- The real hero is always a hero by mistake; he dreams of being an honest coward like everybody else.
- Umberto Eco (1932 - ), Travels in Hyperreality (Harcourt)
- Misquotation is, in fact, the pride and privilege of the learned. A widely- read man never quotes accurately, for the rather obvious reason that he has read too widely.
- Hesketh Pearson, Common Misquotations (1934), Introduction
If an author's name is highlighted, you can click it for more quotations by
that author. Click on a quotation for more information about it, or click on the icons next to each quotation:
- View further information about the quote or link to it on its own page
- Email the quotation to yourself, or to a friend
- View notes about the quotation
Note: These quotes are randomly selected from my collection by an
automatic routine once a day. If you want more quotes, try the Quotations by Author page to
browse our entire collection, or try the Random Quotations Page,
which chooses new quotes each time you load it.