Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 pm 

Hi, im trying to get the most replies ever, POST anything you want to here...quotes, ideas, or just shoutouts. Post whatever you wish

Post subject: OK
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:38 pm 

OK, so I can just talk about anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:45 pm 

Hello?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:02 pm 
Enigma
Enigma

I guess we can just blah about whatever we want. I guess I could start by openly challenging someone to start a topic that is truly thought provoking and debateable. I would love nothing less than to find someone who really gets me to say WOW. There were a few people a while back. I don't know what happened to them. They made you stop and think with every reply they posted. Other than that, Someone just post something and give this guy his somewhat strange request to get the most replies ever. Hard to beat though. There was one about GOD that got over 7 pages of response before it was locked. Too bad. Good topic.

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:34 pm 

I know of which you speak Yin. It was a forum that had the member Phix as a main contributor and there was a little bit of hot headedness from him and another party. I sided utterly with Phix. I even sent him pm's but have had no luck in contacting him yet. If you are here Phix I wish you to comment on this board.

If anyone would like to comment on the book of Genesis and Creation, and comment on the Creator himself as depicted in the Old Testament.

I for one think he is very Cruel. (this may offend, if so, bravo me)

1) Why does a God have volition akin to humans?

2) Can a God be Jealous and Just?

3) Why did the Old Testament God need to assert he was the only God? Would this not be manifest in his Creation?

4) I do not believe Jesus to be chaste, or follow the Commandments (he turned away the law of adultery and mocked when he prayed for His Dsiciples).

Any comment would be appreciated. Attack if you wish, but please give facts, or sound argument.

~William Blake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:05 pm 

http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/gen/1.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:39 pm 

Thank you for the site. It is not new to me but still enjoyable. Anyone with any opinions? If not, a new topic is in order.

~William Blake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:21 pm 

I think that, although everyone is entilted to their opinion, christians are, in general, shovanistic, pushy, controling, and hypocratic. Because they are the majority in america, they automaticly think they are not only right, but right because god said so. anyone who oposes them is going against gods will. 'quick, start a smear campaign!' They need to realise that other people have just as much right to belive what they want to belive as they do. they also must remember the second rule of democracy. the first, the majority is always right. the second, and the one they have forgotten, the minority must be respected. just becuase they have the majority in the house and sente doesnt mean they should ignore everyone elses wishes. thats not democracy, that aristocracy.

ok. im done for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:57 am 
Enigma
Enigma

Dimo, thank you for the site. I have never seen it before and I find it quite fascinating. Any way, I was raised a Christian, and therefore have known all types. What you say about them being what they are is dead on. This is, of course not all Christians. But it does seem to be a common similarity among their groups. What I have a hard time understanding is the conflict between other religions, and more specifically the Christian religion with itself.

By the way, Genius, I remember Phix very well. I also made an attempt to contact him. If you do hear from him, send him my regards and please let me know how I may contact him.

We hold these truths to be selve evident, but evidence is not ownership. Those words are not a decree that we have life, liberty, happiness. Only an iron clad statement that it is ours if we are willing to do all that is necessary to take it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:59 pm 

Heh, he is the talk on other threads too. And as I said there, it is a shame greatness is realized only when it is gone. I ask the same of you, if you contact him, let me know. Although I never really spoke to him or posted while he did, being new, I'd like to talk to him also. Thank you.

~William Blake

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:06 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

I liked the site though I think it is a bit unfair critising Religon for the way it deal with creation. To me the Biblical creation story is what would happen if you went back 3,000 years explained the current creation view then a bit later asked them to write it down.

On another note if anyone got any quotes that could cheer me up that would be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:18 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Quote:
There were a few people a while back. I don't know what happened to them

Sorry to be irriatating but I can only think of one (phix) yet you refer to a group was there something I missed? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:00 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hi, I checked out that site. I found it interesting, although i do not take that view of skepticism where the bible is concerned, being raised as a Christian. I wasn't able to go through it thoroughly but from what i did read its seems to aim in proving the bible to be contradictory within itself and to embrace the scientific explanation of creation and evolution. But i think it quite ironic nonetheless that someone would seek to disprove the bible as being contradictory yet approve certain scientific theories which have little foundation and have proved through time to be erroneous, lacking, and have even been abandoned by some who have formulated these theories.

Reading further i have also realised that some of the things which have been shown to be contradictions on this site are actually not contradictions at all.

I don't claim to know everything, but for me the site, though interesting, wasn't very convincing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:05 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Which bits of the science have been abandoned?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:32 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I was referring to Charles Darwin's renouncement of his theory of evolution.