Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:29 am 

To escape real life? To read awsome well thought out lies? I don't get the use of fiction books. I already know enough lairs in real life to continue dealing with them in books. You may not confirm this but maybe its out of ignorance. Can you tell me how its useful?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:44 pm 

I think the main reason of fiction literature is to entertain. At least for me, I read about fiction novels because they interest me, they probably offer something that I could not experience or something that just catches your attention.

All reads do not always have to make sense in reality. They can go without making no sense at all but still find it a great one at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:35 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Completely agree with wtrumpet, - good fiction offers marvellous entertainment, it stretches your imagination, it provides a temporary relief or respite if real life is difficult - no harm in that. :) It can inform you about history or people or countries you do not know, all mixed in with the story and in an easier form than a textbook.

Certainly fiction by definition is not "true" but the best and most successful writers are great observers of human nature, of the thoughts and feelings of different people and their actions or reactions and can bring convincing interesting characters to us.

Good literature in any language can expand your vocabulary,and improve your spelling and grammar. Good children's fiction is the perfect enticement to encourage children to read.

Please note use of the "good" - there is a lot of rubbish around, but you can decide for yourself by reading some fiction.