Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:45 pm 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

Quote:
As I said previously, social interaction for the socially inept.

i think, there are many "socially inept" people who are just "role playing" all around, but they feel more free in internet, that's all.

for example, i act on facebook how i actually act like in real life, so there's nothing different. one who know me from "real life" wouldn't be surprised if he/she saw my facebook, nor one of my "virtual" friends would be surprised if they saw me in flesh and bones.

internet, granted me many virtual friends (includes you all), a girlfriend(yea we met on the internet, became friends, and hadn't seen each other in flesh for 4 years, then we met and now we're a real couple :) ), some comrades to publish my magazine, etc. and i met some of them, it wasn't, how to say, a big surprise to see them because neither me nor they were "role playing". just, we accepted internet as a new "tool" to communicate, as a new "medium". but, for many, internet is not just a "medium" to communicate, but a new "existence". that's why some bloody aussies think all who use facebook are socially inept (:

for example, if i gave such a long speech in english with such few mistakes (at least i hope so :) ) i would add, in the end of the speech: "vaow, i'm a genius".

so, vaow, i'm a genius :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:01 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This is a difficult question to definitively answer. Social networking is full of contradiction and ambiguity.

As a tool it is not inherently good or bad. It allows people to share information among their friendship circles. As such it is a reflection of the individuals who use it.

Now, in the case of Facebook, who's financial model is based on selling information on to third party marketing companies, there is a definite emphasis on sharing information about themselves (their likes, preferences and habits on a range of areas) and users are actively encouraged to do so. This is one of the biggest criticisms of Facebook, as it abuses people's privacy and takes advantage of people's desires to share and interact with each other. However, as it has so successfully facilitated such a popular platform for sharing among the mainstream, and that all information on Facebook is voluntarily given, it can be argued that, in a capitalist society, some sort of financial reward should be forthcoming for its creators. Nothing is completely free - even you browsing history is stored by your internet service provider and can be traced back to you.

The second big criticism is also surrounding privacy. There is concern among some areas that information on Facebook can be accessed and used by people with bad intentions. However, there are privacy settings which can be applied to keep some form of anonymity on ones profile. It can be argued that users should be responsible for their own privacy. On the other hand it is possible that some vulnerable people may not be aware of these privacy settings, or may seek out a seemingly friendly voice. This raises the question of the extent of the obligations to which Facebook has towards the safety of its users.

The perception of a hive mind mentality among some users, I think, is a broad generalisation. However, it is not surprising that certain topics do trend among users more than others. It is a reflection of social identity and desire for some sense of belonging. Viral videos, photos, articles or memes are replacing 'event TV' (in some cases, reinventing it), the 'water cooler conversation', and is renegotiating the space in which social gatherings take place. This brings to mind the more fundamental questions of technology - does it cause progress or loss? Arguably, both.

The last point I will make is one of manipulation. Who decides what is shared? The SOPA and PIPA bills which corporations are trying to force through congress suggest that it is not traditional media outlets who control what is viewed online. However, it is also the case that certain media sites seem to have greater prevalence on Facebook, through apps, or their own websites which maintain popularity through their offline reputations (eg. New York Times, Time Magazine, National Geographic, The Guardian). The virality of some online content also seems to gather momentum when it is picked up upon by mainstream media outlets.

This is probably the most complex aspect of social networking and content sharing. In countries such as North Korea, where the government actively controls media outlets, the answer is more obvious. However, in a society where the media is far more liberal, it is difficult to say. Some news outlets (eg. Fox) show a clear biased agenda towards their paymasters, where as others, such as the Independent, have no obligation towards a specific set of values. This issue of control is the fundamental question of both online and offline media, and how much choice do people really have over what they view and share.

This is by no means a comprehensive analysis, its just what I could knock up in twenty minutes off the top of my head. I could sit and write about this all day (I wrote a 10,000 word dissertation on profile pictures alone) and still only scratch the surface of these issues. My main aim was show the complex and ambiguous nature of social networking and, more specifically, Facebook.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:24 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

For me it's simple, Not in my house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:44 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hi there, Moshei, great to hear from you. :D

I really appreciate your comments about Facebook, I guess any tool can be used in good or bad ways. Facebook, Twitter etc and the whole instant worldwide communication is a social phenomenon that I personally find confronting and slightly frightening and it is clearly a generational thing that I cannot come to terms with.

It must be the nearest to "Freedom of Speech" that the world has ever come. Wish some were more articulate and could find a new adjective.

In many cases I do appreciate that used carefully it is a convenient way to keep in touch with your social circle, if you really do want all your friends to know all you all tell each other all the time, but this seems very strange to me.

I have different friends and we have different interests - some of them I talk books with, others garden, etc. etc. This works fine, meeting one on one, or via phone or email, but if I was on Facebook, 80% would be completely boring or not applicable to all those readers not interested in those subjects. Then there is ever extending family as in- law groups get drawn in as "friends" . Boy, you would really have to tread a careful line.

The virtual possibility of all the people I went to school with, went to uni with, ever worked with over the last 60 odd years able to actually contact me is horrifying. :evil: Maybe it all boils down to my over reserved English upbringing and an obsession with privacy. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:51 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have some friends in France who I socialize with on Facebook. It's fun as it gives me an opportunity to improve my French, and we share good music that we've found. I've discovered some interesting things by reading the links to music and art that they suggest.

One does not have to share all kinds of private information on Facebook.

I have no desire to have all kinds of 'friends' on Facebook and meet old high school buddies.

I have run across on Facebook a few of the old members here from the Fluff Forum.

Oh, and hello Moshei. Long time no see!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:01 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

For mine it's the anti-social uses that have it banned at my house. Bullying is rampant and the anonymity granted by 'social' media only increases the viciousness.
Freedom of speech is lovely, but as with all rights, it bears a responsibility to respect those of others. If they ever introduce a level of moderation I'll likely reconsider.
Anajo, did you ever belong to Penfriends International?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:57 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Anything newly offered as in tangible or intangible product/service that happen to be grabbing attention and skillfully made - would attract users. Facebook was/is still kinda revolutionary service.

It is a means of communication and sharing knowledge. I can't deny that I find it very useful especially in this fast technological era but then its got over-populated same as earth. I like mostly serene areas than that immature youth crowds there. Yet, I go there reluctantly.

Libra.