Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:36 pm 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

An idea has filled my mind recently, (perhaps some thought it years ago but i just thought) seems evolution is a bit getting different than it used to be. I, now think that technology will completely replace biological beings, it is another path that evolution follows since the date we invented the alphabet (seems Stephen Hawking impressed me on this topic). Even now, one can realize that electronical devices are becoming parts of our bodies, so, do you think that one day biological life which depends on chemical energy will completely be replaced by electronical entities which depends on other kinds of energy?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:27 am 

Tonyukuk wrote:
An idea has filled my mind recently, (perhaps some thought it years ago but i just thought) seems evolution is a bit getting different than it used to be. I, now think that technology will completely replace biological beings, it is another path that evolution follows since the date we invented the alphabet (seems Stephen Hawking impressed me on this topic). Even now, one can realize that electronical devices are becoming parts of our bodies, so, do you think that one day biological life which depends on chemical energy will completely be replaced by electronical entities which depends on other kinds of energy?

Yes, there is a lot of technology going on but we won't be replaced. Manual labour is worth less then robots you know. Robots are a part of life but not to much. My Grandmother says "the new generation is full of robots' which is kind of true. We've got access to all this new technology and that.
How is electronic devices becoming parts of our bodies. I don't think biological life will be replaced rather enhance, improve or provide biological beings with what they need.
It's all good we'll be k :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:50 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I'm sure technology will mostly replace the need for any kind of manual labour with complete automation and minimal upkeep. More and more human workers would then become unemployed, with more leisure time and many of them without the means or ability to fill that time happily. This happens now with unemployment and then would become so much worse.

The IT industry itself has created employment, but that could reach saturation point and will almost begin to run itself, just leaving only the need for research and development people.

But then new research might bring about jobs in areas we can't even conceive of yet. Teleport operator? :D or: -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ2yGIYMWwo

Hopefully science will be able to renew or repair most of our body parts in time. After all, there are already pacemakers, cochlear implants, plastic and metal joints etc and I have plastic lenses implanted in both my eyes which gave me back clear and focussed sight (not contacts, these are permanent).

But hard to imagine our bodies not still needing to rely on some biological sustenance. If we were totally electronic then somehow wouldn't our minds be different - externally controlled? Scary concepts, well explored in sci fi, but not impossible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:44 am 

I totally disagree with you Gumtree. Electronics will not replace manual labour it's too expensive. it's not cheap to build a robot. Yeah your right, maybe a robot could do a job, but not lead to employment. Mcdonald for example hires young workers not robots. Humans don't glitch and rely on electricity like robots do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:40 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

kakykoo wrote:
I don't think biological life will be replaced rather enhance, improve or provide biological beings with what they need.
I agree with the first part. Biological life will not be replaced with technology. I disagree with the second part. Technology has improved our standard of living, sure. But apart from living an authentically human life (as opposed to, say, a malnourished child in India), we humans also need relationships. Our emotional, psychological, and spiritual resources are being choked. I have no resources at time, but I'm positive there is empirical evidence (ie, suicide, divorce, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:43 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

A couple of parallels:

In the 70s, the prediction was that computers would replace paper. Now we only use MORE paper.

Or, technology is supposed to save us time. But - where has all the time gone? We're busier than we ever were.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:38 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

kakykoo wrote:
I totally disagree with you Gumtree. Electronics will not replace manual labour it's too expensive. it's not cheap to build a robot. Yeah your right, maybe a robot could do a job, but not lead to employment. Mcdonald for example hires young workers not robots. Humans don't glitch and rely on electricity like robots do.

Seen how cars are made lately?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:55 am 

DSW wrote:
kakykoo wrote:

Seen how cars are made lately?

Yeah but those are just some of the electronical jobs. There are still mechanics that fix cars. Those robots just create them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:12 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ignition, diagnostics, instrument clusters, paint matching, alignment/balancing. Mechanics use increasinjg modes of electronics which reduce their labour and, in a great many cases, do not repair components but replace them with a new or reconditioned unit. have a punt where the replacement units are made?
Your statement was electronics would not replace manual labour, perhaps you should have said electronics would not replace ALL manual labour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:59 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

kakykoo wrote:

Take a look at the retail world, Kakykoo, and consider electronics means systems, not just robots.

Once we had grocers, butchers, bakers, greengrocers and dairy shops, small individual family run shops giving personal service. Every single small town had at least one of each and large cities many in every suburb.

Then came self service and gradually all these individual shops became swallowed up in one "supermarket", helped by refrigeration in shops and transport, centralised buying and prepackaging and the introduction of preservatives. All those shopkeepers and their workers replaced by say one shop in a village or suburb.

Move on to now in my country - very very few small shops in the cities most of our retail dominated completely by Woolworths or Coles . In these giants we can now do our own checkout - flick your barcode past the reader, put in your bag, repeat with each item. Put your cash or plastic in the machine, pick up your change and receipt. Very soon no check out staff needed perhaps a couple patrolling the self checkers.

We can already order by computer and I can see a time when an automatic system (possibly a robot trolley :) )will pick our products up from warehouse shelves by barcode or similar, will slap automatic address on completed order, send by moving line to delivery trucks and all from a warehouse. No need for retail store.

Compare the number of staff needed to supervise that warehouse to all the people in those original individual city shops or even to the staff of a store like Selfridges UK or Macy's in NY in the fifties and sixties.

This is possible now. Doesn't mean I like the prospect. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:41 am 

yeah there is a chance of that happening, but there still needs to be control. There are theories that we should be walking on the moon right now and having fun, are we? Not all sci-fi fantasies are true. Yeah I agree it won't replace ALL manual labour but there will STILL be a job for people to do. The government system will be weird. We can't help the community if robots are doing it for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:39 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

kakykoo wrote:
We can't help the community if robots are doing it for us.

You're right. Those old shops were the main places where people met, kept up with the news and gossip and stopped to chat. The "heart " of the community. If someone was ill or in trouble people knew and would do something about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:15 pm 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

i quite agree with gumtree on her opinions, but...

what i meant, how will be the destination of the human race after thousands of years. perhaps we don't need to be worried, but i can't help thinking of it.

when ai is developed to have a real "mind", when humans reproduce without a mum's womb,when we manage to make electronical devices our components, i think evolution will lead us to be totally replaced by electronic entities.

mass production and scientific breakthrough is important, yet still the beginning. i ask you to dream what if it continues this way:if we reproduce at these rates, consume world's sources, etc. biologic life will be impossible, it will be impossible to accommodate. smart, really "think"ing and "creating" machines will replace us, will they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:39 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

:D Sorry Tony, we did wander a bit !

If disease or disaster does wipe out humankind and electronic machines manage to survive and replace us, what endless energy supply could they actually run on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:40 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"We can already order by computer and I can see a time when an automatic system (possibly a robot trolley )will pick our products up from warehouse shelves by barcode or similar, will slap automatic address on completed order, send by moving line to delivery trucks and all from a warehouse. No need for retail store."

Closer than you think, those scanners at the checkout are not for our convenience, they're an automated restocking system. linked to a centralised distribution centre.