PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:43 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Anybody read CS Lewis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:28 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Not for a long time, but deserving of admiration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:54 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I went to the bookstore to find "The Four Loves", and ordered it. Can't wait to pick it up! I've never read of his material, just bits of pieces of his Christian stuff (which was, I think, was the source of several of his significant writings.)

Currently, I'm reading a fictitious dialogue between he, Kennedy and Huxley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:34 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This is awesome. Ever heard of Lewis' trilemma?

"aut Deus aut homo malus"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis%27s_trilemma

"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept his claim to be God. That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse. You can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God, but let us not come with any patronising nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to. ... Now it seems to me obvious that He was neither a lunatic nor a fiend: and consequently, however strange or terrifying or unlikely it may seem, I have to accept the view that He was and is God."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:19 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The study of the origin, interpretation, translation etc of the gospels of the New Testament is huge and controversial. I have no shred of knowledge to cite instances to support or deny the accuracy of their content, and great scholars disagree.

Devout Christians such as C S Lewis clearly believe implicitly in their accuracy and can only therefore base their discussions/ arguments on this belief. He appears to be accepting exactly what the gospels report as Jesus' sayings.

To me this indicates a biased and flawed conclusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:39 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Jesus' claims of divinity are fairly explicit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:48 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

CS Lewis on Affection (Greek: storge)

Affection has its own criteria. Its objects have to be familiar. We can sometimes point to the very day and hour when we fell in love or began a new friendship. I doubt if we ever catch Affection beginning. To become aware of it is to become aware that it has already been going on for some time. The use of "old" or vieux as a term of Affection is significant. The dog barks at strangers who have never done it any harm and wags its tail for old acquaintances even they never did it a good turn. The child will love a crusty old gardener who has hardly ever taken notice of it and shrink from the visitor who is making every attempt to win its regard. But it must be an old gardener, one who has "always" been there -- the short but seemingly immemorial "always" of childhood.

Affection, as I have said, is the humblest love. It gives itself no airs. People can be proud of being "in love," or of friendship. Affection is modest -- even furtive and shame-faced. Once when I had remarked on the affection quite often found between cat and dog, my friend replied, "Yes. But I bet no dog would ever confess it to the other dogs."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:46 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Tommy GS wrote:

As reported in the Gospels................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:48 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Tommy GS wrote:

Which gives him something in common with a lot of folk in Psychiatric hospitals and several megalomaniacs through history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:16 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I like those comments re Affection, but again, back to these pesky Greek definitions of various kinds of love, which to me cause a problem. Trying to fit different kinds of love within those bounds is far to confining.

Affection being linked with storge doesn't gel with my views of affection, if you try to line them up on wiki. I feel that affection is a particular kind of love in its own right and agree it often follows familiarity. It is a gentle kind of love, a tolerant kind of love, lesser than the love of parent for child, sometimes greater than the feelings of friendship, but probably closest to that. You can feel affection for animals, even for certain objects if they evoke special memories or associations.

No wonder there is so much misunderstanding in communication, when different words mean different things to different people.

Guess that's why I mourn the loss of a wide vocabulary(now considered pretentious and old fashioned), where once in English there seemed to be far more exact words for any particular definition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:24 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Like, you totally don't like the way folk like, speak now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:03 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Meh, whatever
:roll: