Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:09 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Finally some time to revisit. Unfortunately, I've kind of lost my train of thought.... I don't know know/remember what I was trying to get at, or what terms I was trying to come to. That is, regarding the Koran/Bible discussion.

I'm doing a bit of research on supersessionism, and the notion of Christ 'completing' what Judaism started ("I came not to abolish the law, but to fulfill it.") Supersession, Libra, is that "equivalent" I was getting at, I just didn't know it.

DSW - always a pleasure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:03 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hey Tommy ...

Excuse my temporary ignorance in regards to some terms 'Supersession' but until I get enlightened I will be more effective here ... unless you could clarify this a bit, I'd be thankful.

All the best to you Tommy.

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:49 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This brief explanation will be on a very base level, and only in terms of my understanding. If I find out that I'm wrong, I'll correct myself. All parties of the forum, what say you:

Ago, I suggested that the OT describes a God of wrath and vengeance. Then I suggested the NT described a God of love and patience. In the former, God established a covenant with the people He chose - the Israelites - and his relationship with them (as it would seem) was... 'harsh', for the sake of argument. In the latter, the Christ came and He superseded/fulfilled/completed what had been established in the OT. Thus, the relationship changed (hence, all of the speak of love.) Supersessionism.

So many questions and holes in my briefing, but it's for the sake of describing that what God started with the Israelites, Christ Jesus completed in the NT.

Libra, RE: what I was suggesting to you earlier about the "equivalent" of the NT in the Koran... I asked about Allah and his seemingly wrathful and vengeful words/deeds; similar to Yahweh in the OT. I suppose my question would explore whether or not these words/deeds were replaced with a new law, or in the case of the Bible, a new covenant, in the NT.

Tell me what I'm getting right and wrong, and clarify some things for me.