Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:31 am 

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance- Robert M Pirsig

A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kennedy Toole

The Year of the Hare - Arto Paasilinna

Alan Turing : The Enigma - Andrew Hodges

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:05 am 

Overall and just a tad wrinkly these days, unquestionably just one author - Winston Graham and his 12 Poldark novels. Read them all three times and they're just as absorbing as ever.

Anyone else read them ? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:56 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Read about the first six long ago and loved them, but somehow once Demelza was not around so much I lost interest. Did you know there was a BBC series of Poldark in the 70's ?- it was excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:19 am 

Oh yes ! The 70's series was a worldwide smash hit on a level with "Gone With the Wind" and which is still so wonderfully compelling to watch on video - I just can't stop playing them ! Back then they even had to alter the times of evening church services to fit round the weekly broadcasts which is hardly surprising since WG is said to have been the UK's most popular author since Jane Austen. The BBC finally released them on VHS in the nineties though edited down quite a bit from the original broadcasts. A further even more edited poor DVD series then appeared about 5 years ago, until fortunately they've now re-issued the most complete DVD series yet earlier this year. In Australia ! :lol:

Unfortunately I was abroad in the Seventies so missed the broadcasts, though I did buy "The Angry Tide" at the same time not realising it was the seventh and currently the last. A lot of people did the same too so having to go back to book one later on was a bit annoying really ! Incidentally if you haven't read the last six books Demelza in fact is still very much centre stage right to the very end....

Great to find another enthusiast ! If anyone's interested there's a huge and excellent website called "The Winston Graham & Poldark Literary Society". :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:16 am 

To choose one, I would say, Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. Read it, if you're still following this thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:57 am 

Hello Everyone,

I have read Joy DeKok's Rain Dance. Really interesting story and I like it very much. I have never read such story before.

I am sharing some reviews of it.

I applaud DeKok for the naked, honest emotions her characters displayed. She didn't try to soften Jonica's railing at God, nor Stacie's self-centeredness. I found Jonica's faith to be very real and practical. Her journey to healing and Stacie's path to faith were both believable, and not something manipulated by the author. They are women from different backgrounds and belief systems when they meet. And yet, I believed the friendship that grew between them. I came to love Stacie as much as Jonica.

Rain Dance is truly a prodigious book. It bears healing within its pages for hurting women, whether they are scarred by post abortion syndrome or infertility, Rain Dance is a must read. But be sure to have a hankie handy. Novel Reviews and I give it a very high recommendation:
4 stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:11 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I'm honestly quite fond of the story within Trans-Siberian Orchestra's new album Nightcastle, it's very interesting and is not too lengthy, just right for me.

"The sun rises every day. What is to love? Lock the sun in a box. Force the sun to overcome adversity in order to rise. THEN, we will cheer! I often admire a beautiful sunrise, but I will never consider the sun a champion for having risen."
Garth Stein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:01 am 

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series is definitely mine. Pretty wonderful if you like dry, witty british humor speckled with philosophy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:41 pm 

I have a lot of favorite books. But if I have to choose :|

The Eagle's Gift - by Carlos Castaneda

Here's a quote from the book

"The Eagle devours the awareness of all the creatures that, alive on earth a moment before and now dead, have floated to the Eagle’s beak like a swarm of fireflies, to meet their owner, their reason for having had life. The Eagle disentangles these tiny flames, lays them flat, as a tanner stretches out a hide, and then consumes them; for awareness is the Eagle’s food."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:55 pm 

Recently I finished the Steig Larsson trilogy "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo", "The Girl Who Played With Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest," and saw the films which were excellent and in Swedish with subtitles. Hollywood is remaking The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but I dont' see how they can top the Swedish version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:13 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ok, well... Now that my beautiful Alienware is sitting glowing in my room, I'm back... Apparently I haven't stated this yet, since I just recently bought this... The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. A very touching and sad story, all from the view of a family dog, philosopher in nature... A great quick read, and filled with lessons to last a lifetime. For the most part.

"The sun rises every day. What is to love? Lock the sun in a box. Force the sun to overcome adversity in order to rise. THEN, we will cheer! I often admire a beautiful sunrise, but I will never consider the sun a champion for having risen."
Garth Stein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:14 am 

A new favorite of mine is John Wourinen's A History of Finland. Unfortunately, there was no new copy available for purchase, so I got a used one from the only website/store selling it: Amazon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:04 pm 

The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas would be the top book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:49 pm 

garysquest wrote:
The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas would be the top book.

Oh, my, yes, that is a wonderful book. The only issue may be the great length, but it is no bother to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:12 pm 

My favorite book when I was a child is a fantasy book about princesses. Now, my favorite book is a book about environment. A literature book of environment especially the book "American Earth: Environmental Writing since Thoreau". It is a collection of essays, poems, songs, cartoons and excerpts that admittedly includes worthy writings. So every time I read this books, I feel that I came back as a child.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next